Tilapia series begins!

JarrydA

After a slow morning on the bass, Only catching one that wasn't 100% intentional, (I had the cicada tea bagging off the front of the yak as i was navigating a very tight section of river and this bass come out of nowhere and absoultely smashed it) Ted gave me a call to begin this seasons Tilapia Series.

post-10420-144599002779_thumb.jpg

Last summer Ted and i started a ongoing comp, based off a scroring system of:

Tilapia under 30cm. 2pts

Tilapia 30-45cm. 5pts

Tilapia 45cm+. 10pts

Spangled Perch, Mullet and tandanus. 1pt

Turtle. -10pts

The comp started in Teds favour pulling a 15cm Tilapia straight up, the bite was then a little bit slow but after a bit of burley the fish turned up. Plenty of fish on the board, mostly mullet but also a couple of good Tilapia, one of them my new PB at 38cm. :)

post-10420-144599002792_thumb.jpg

post-10420-144599002804_thumb.jpg

This gave me a very good lead, In the time i caught these, ted managed to get not one, but two turtles, extending my lead even further.

We made a move to another spot on the pond and found the mullet in a big way, easily landing over 25 in a row, most of which were ted, including a brute easily a kg over 50cm model, which put up a great fight on the 4lb, this hot patch caught him up from a long way behind and left us near the end of the session with me at 9 points ahead, and being prime turtle time, not a happy buffer for me. Luckily i managed to get 2 mullet on the finish to take me more than a turtle buffer ahead resulting in me getting taking out the first round. Final Score, Me: 27 Ted: 16 :cheer:

is this series just for you 2 or can I play? If so you two better team up and pool your points because those scores are pretty low ;)

All are welcome Tom. The Tillys are still pretty quiet at PRP. Only three caught today. The Mullet on the other hand where firing. I am pretty happy with my score in the end given I had a -20 point penalty for Turtles.

Hey JarrydA they are some mighty fine Talapia there mate.

I spend 70% of the year in Thailand for work and every chance I get I fish, the Tilapia ( or as the Thai's call it Pla nin) is the most popular eating fish in Thailand due to its abundance.

Where did you catch the ones photoed would love to try the Thai fishing methods here to see if they work.

Mick

Hey JarrydA they are some mighty fine Talapia there mate.

I spend 70% of the year in Thailand for work and every chance I get I fish, the Tilapia ( or as the Thai's call it Pla nin) is the most popular eating fish in Thailand due to its abundance.

Where did you catch the ones photoed would love to try the Thai fishing methods here to see if they work.

Mick

Hey mate. These ones are caught in the pond at pine rivers park, strathpine.

They are all over brissy though, Pretty much any creek or pond/lake/dam has them.

• 4 weeks later...

My first Tilapia for Summer, 40cm taken at Wivenhoe on lure.

Seeing (being?) as I'm making up the rules......

1 point per cm

1 point for vermin control

2 points for lure caught

2 points because it was the first day of Summer

10 points because I used Runty drag setting

So by my calculations that starts me out on 56 points

post-7024-144599012864_thumb.jpg

After some poor form by Jrad I deduct 10 points for a turtle but it turns out you get 1 point for barred grunter so I call it even and my score remains unchanged. Teds kidz scared away the fish so an uppercut for him.

On a seperate note, how many points deducted for shooting this fish in a barrel Anton?

post-1039-144599013167_thumb.jpg

On a seperate note, how many points deducted for shooting this fish in a barrel Anton?

[attachment=68863]DSC_1844.JPG[/attachment]

Well that's easy to calculate Tom. Minus 5 for catching something slimier than a catfish, minus 5 for doing it with bait and minus another 5 for doing it on our side of town when he has clearly stated the Northside is superior. That is minus 15 points J-rad, you need to pick up your game son.

EDIT: After careful consideration by the committee we have decided to deduct another 2 points for hanging by the jaw with lip grips and not supporting the body of a fish destined for release.

1 point per cm

1 point per lure caught cm

1 point per cm caught in the rain

1 point per cm caught as your first Till

1 point per cm that was eaten

25 x 5

125 points yeeha!!

[attachment=68922]IMG_3918.jpg[/attachment]

Yoore kidding yooreself mayte eye mayke up tha rulz arownd heer.

Minus 100 points for the crappy pic, minus 20 because you're not me, leaves you on 5 and trailing miserably :P

1 point per cm

1 point per lure caught cm

1 point per cm caught in the rain

1 point per cm caught as your first Till

1 point per cm that was eaten

25 x 5

125 points yeeha!!

[attachment=68922]IMG_3918.jpg[/attachment]

Yoore kidding yooreself mayte eye mayke up tha rulz arownd heer.

Minus 100 points for the crappy pic, minus 20 because you're not me, leaves you on 5 and trailing miserably :P

minus another 5 becoz u didn't describe your gearS

Archived