No jacks but some great by-catch!

samsteele115

I didn't have cricket today so I took the opportunity to go for a fish.

With reports of the jacks firing, I thought it was about time to try and catch one myself. So on to google earth I went and found a good launching spot in some tight looking country.

Cal and I got there a little late for the dawn surface bite, but there were so many fishy snags to chuck weighted plastics at it was very exciting. I couldn't believe we were the only fisherman in sight!

I got bricked by something in one of these snags early on in the day, boy did that get the heart pumping! Was very disappointed to lose it. I just didn't have much of a chance even with 15lb braid and 20lb leader. Whatever it was hit my zman diezel minnow and swam straight back home. Jack, Cod or a very very very big bream I am guessing.

After more snag bashing without much success I eventually picked up a small flatty to get off the donut which was a relief. Phew.

We came across some nice sand flats where the incoming tide was starting to rip across the banks, taking the abundance of baitfish and prawns across it. It screamed flathead.

After 10 minutes of scratching my head wondering why I hadn't got a flatty yet with all this bait around, I hooked up about 5 metres in front of me to a solid flathead going 55cm.

post-11925-144599011193_thumb.jpg

post-11925-144599011204_thumb.jpg

I was pretty pumped after that! We continued wading for half an hour or so before returning to the yaks. I managed to pick up one more small flatty in a similar area not long after.

Continued...

We started to make our way back to the car paddling against the tide. Stopped in to the last snag before packing up where the tide was really racing through creating a large eddy behind it. Surely there must be a jack in there feasting on all the bait drifting past.

Flick, flick, bang. Felt like a heavy fish! Well, turned out to be a massive mud crab.

Next cast I put my lure in the same area then BAM! I was on. The fish had a blistering first run using the tide to its advantage before I managed to control it and bring it in.

New pb flathead 64cm

post-11925-144599011213_thumb.jpg

post-11925-144599011221_thumb.jpg

No jacks but finished with 4 very nice flathead. Can't wait to get back there!

Oh, and Cal got nothing because he was fly fishing... :silly:

Thanks for reading,

Sam

Good effort and well done on the pb flatty..not asking for your spot but wat waterway were u in? I'm keen to head out on the yak and chase some jacks down coomera river way but not sure wat numbers are like in that system?

Not even sure what numbers are like in the place I went either mate, I don't even know if they exist there or not (I'm sure they do). It's half the fun sussing out places you've never heard of before! If I get a jack there it will be so much more rewarding than if a mate told me his secret spot where he carves up on jacks all the time.

It was up towards the sunny coast but I encourage you to just get on google earth and do the same as I.

I reckon the upper coomera (and the upper reaches of all other south east Queensland rivers for that matter) would be loaded with them! Also canals and bridge pilons around the goldy etc.. But yeah I got no idea about jack fishing at this stage so can't help you with anything else sorry :)

Archived