A well spent afternoon on the Cabo

samsteele115

Instead of going out fishing with 'fishing mates' I headed out to the caboolture river in the tinny with 3 of my mates who don't do much fishing at all.

post-11925-144599029079_thumb.jpg

I had never been to the river before so there wasn't as much fishing as I would have liked, most of the 4 hour session was spent farting around with crab pots, sounding around for fishy looking places, helping the fellas with their knots etc. and just enjoying the time out on the water.

It was my second attempt at crabbing, so I was pretty happy that we managed 15 for the day with a couple of bucks being just undersized.

post-11925-144599029063_thumb.jpg

Before the day had started I was hoping to get at least one of my mates onto their first fish on plastics and to also prove that lures are better than bait. :whistle:

They were all using bait but I made sure I rigged up an extra plastics rod in case they decided that they wanted to catch fish :lol:

Richard thought he would give it a go when we got to some promising looking flathead territory near the mouth, and sure enough he was on to a nice 50cm flathead which fell to a squidgy wriggler. First fish on a lure!

post-11925-144599029087_thumb.jpg

I also managed to land a flathead and drop another in quick succession before this bream fell to a zman minnow in smokey shad.

post-11925-144599029096_thumb.jpg

All in all it was a good few hours spent with mates and it was nice to do something a bit different where fishing wasn't the main focus.

I also learnt that it was a very dumb idea having 2 Nordic Stage rods on board with a bunch of half pissed beginners. There were a few close calls. Phew.

All fish and crabs were released.

Thanks for reading,

Sam

That's a full boat load when your casting lures with newbie's on board. Congraz to your mate with the flatty.

Bad luck on the muddy being just undersize, was it full or empty? (I hear the pros have been giving the Cabo a working over of late)

Pissed mates equals fibreglass rods I recon.

Catch up for a crabbing session soon hey?

It is pretty flogged. Have caught the odd decent fish in there, but there is a lot of water in between them. My foray's are usually taking the daughter out so she can clean up in the local club fishing competition on whiting and bream. (Although she did pick up biggest fish last year with a 75cm flattie).

The sand banks in front of Uhlman road ramp and in front of the closed private ramp for flatties, bakers flats for whiting are your best bets.

That's a full boat load when your casting lures with newbie's on board. Congraz to your mate with the flatty.

Bad luck on the muddy being just undersize, was it full or empty? (I hear the pros have been giving the Cabo a working over of late)

Pissed mates equals fibreglass rods I recon.

Catch up for a crabbing session soon hey?

Yeah wasn't the easiest. One of them had to leave early though so it was just 3 of us who were really fishing.

Didn't bother to check it as it was undersized and yeah mate I'm always keen for a sesh!

Just been trying to rig up my boat with lighting all morning. Think I might need to post on here for a few suggestions haha.

Archived