Noosa tuna fire up

Carter

The beauty about working for yourself is that on days like today when I was working away peering out at the glassed out ocean I thought I’m going home and going fishing. I knew that tomorrow as a result would be crazy busy but sometimes you just have to follow you instincts. At 1pm I was launching at the boat ramp and at 4 pm I was back. The 3 hours in between was absolute mayhem.

My plan was to hit the outter bay to troll for Spaniards however once I neared the Jew shoal I noticed a few birds working in the distance and went in chase. The further north I ventured the thicker the bird flocks became and after 15 mins or so I had my first shot at a feeding school of tuna. I was casting plastics with the Favourite and 5000 Salina reel and once I hit the target all I had to do was twitch the rod tip and wait for the line to start peeling off a rate of knots. The fight was short but brutal with 20lb main line and a small yellow fin was boated. Hell yeah sashimi for the misses on Valentines day, I’m going to get some loving.

post-9694-144599032228_thumb.jpg

On the second shot another similar sized yellow fin was boated also with a small twitch in amongst the melee. As the afternoon progressed the feeding frenzies became more furious and intense. After boating 4 yellow fins and pulling the hooks on a few I moved to another school in the distance and on the second cast a respectable mack tuna was landed. Vermin!

post-9694-144599032238_thumb.jpg

There were bust ups starting all around me so I started to really pick my schools, it is an awesome feeling when you actually get to pick your targets. I found some slightly larger fish and within a few casts I had 2 stripped tuna landed and released.

post-9694-144599032245_thumb.jpg

These fish fought really well and were very thick in girth. The average size would have only been a few kilos but what they lacked in size was made up for in numbers. I followed the bigger mosh pits toward Sunshine reef and found another patch of yellow fin. Here I had another 2 yellow fin boated before I clumsily broke my rod through absolute stupidity.

post-9694-144599032252_thumb.jpg

The only other rods I had were 2 trolling rigs set up with 50lb and I wasn't going to start throwing that gear around. It was 3:45 so I made the call to head back.

Archived