Half a day in the bay 11/4/14

Luvit

It was my twins birthday on Thursday and they decided the theme parks was the best way to spend their 13th B/day's.

So we decided on Friday we would head out for a look for some mackerel and tuna.

We started the morning at 4.00am and were launched by 5.30am at cabbage tree creek along with many others. I had heard they had got some prawns off Nudgee after the rain. We headed off and joined the others that thought work was a crime on such a lovely morning.

Although there were plenty of boats around, there were a lot of people moving around and they were quite spread out. (not a great sign).

The morning started slow but with a prawn of this size on the third cast we persevered. :P

post-11868-144599042435_thumb.jpg

James was casting an 8 ft top and bottom pocket net and he worked hard for some prawns.

post-11868-144599043006_thumb.jpg

We played the game for about 3 hrs all up, to go home with just under 3 kg of great quality prawns.

post-11868-144599043012_thumb.jpg

Finally I could convince my wife I could achieve 8 inches :S

post-11868-144599043016_thumb.jpg

Not that they were all that big but still very good feed.

post-11868-144599043021_thumb.jpg

With some thing in the esky we headed off to have a general look around with Tuna in mind.

We headed towards Mud island and on the way we saw a splash and then a LT coming leaping out. It got our juices flowing but it did not surface again and we didn't even get a cast off. :(

I have read so much about the beacons so we headed towards the measured mile and stoped at a beacon. My Z-man 3 inch minnow in pink got smashed on a light outfit and the mackerel had its freedom in seconds after biting through the 30lb trace. :pinch:

After no action for a while we headed to the next one before the wind was due to come up. We arrived and there were 3 other boats bait fishing and spinning in between bites.

We found a position out of the way and started spinning. James was first to hook up with a small tailor. No pic sorry.

Then Luke has a hit and was in , after a short but energetic fight he boated his first spotted mackerel of 77cm. He was stoked to say the least and now declares game fishing is his thing, not prawning. :huh:

post-11868-144599043026_thumb.jpg

We headed home at noon as the wind got up and we got soaked.

Another great day out and next time we will head straight over to Morten to do some more exploring.

thanks for reading,

Wayne

Great stuff again Wayne, bl00dy good sized prawns!!! Well done to your young fella for his spotty, I'm yet to get one in the bay. We left from Cabbage Tree on Friday and on the way back in one boat was throwing a net and was absolutely surrounded by birds. Saw them at the ramp and they got some good sized ones too.

Thanks Kel,

Prawns were on early in the week but Friday was the first chance I had to get out. I believe that Saturday was real tough with not much coming in on the prawn front.

We would have seen 6 or so mackerel around the beacon while spinning with 40 gram slugs. The soft plastic got some interest then Luke's slug got nailed straight after the follow up on the SP.

Change of lure past their face did the trick.

Some cracker prawns there luvit, they would have been tasty I bet, I'm salivating thinking about it...........well done to the young fella on his spottie capture..

We went out on Friday morning also, only got 4 longies and a couple of spotties before the wind got up......Thursday arv was good though, I went out for a solo mission leaving the ramp around 12:30 out into the guts of a glassy bay looking for longtail, as soon as I arrived at the grounds I got onto a few spotties straight up, things went quiet for a bit but it wasn't long before the Lt's showed up, got half a dozen in a couple of hours and headed home across a glassed out bay with a big smile on my face around 3:30....gotta love a successful quick arvo session.

Cheers,

Al

Archived