Deep Diving Bibbed Lure Modifications??

melrichsin

Hi I have been going out in a friend's displacement launch in Moreton Bay, we trek across the bay at 7.5 to 9 knots but many of my diving lures have too large a bib for these speeds.... Aside from buying a new selection of lures has anyone done any modifications to reduce the hydrodynamic drag?

I am pondering filing down the plastic bib or possibly even drilling aeration holes in the bib? The prospect of drilling 2 or 3 evenly spaced holes in the bib may also cause a bubble trail that could entice more pelagic species, and if I do not file the bib down evenly the lure may not track straight.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions on this... or should I just let the wife know I am going shopping for more fishing gear?

Hi Binder, I have put out some Halco's but grew up trolling hard bodies in NZ so still like to use them... I am going to drill some holes through a couple and all going well should get a chance to see if they work on Friday (I will buy some poppies, but may miss dawn service)

Nothing ventured nothing gained.

I remember my brothers giving me a ribbing when fishing a ripping tide. I would cut down a baby bottle teat and thread up the line. It slipped back down over the bait and made it stream lined and stopped the bait from spinning. The fish didn't mind it. A bit

uorthodox but it worked.

Look forward to the results. Even if it fails you will have learnt something having a go. ;)

This is a common problem and why skired lures cover a lot of ground.

Yep, I've heard crazier ideas and I'm no physicist but your idea seems to have some logic. Firstly I hope it helps to reduce the drag for you and if it does then I hope the bubble trail helps to attract fish. If it all goes well you may have to quickly apply for a patent - could be your 'next' million!!!

Archived