Late Straddy Report

Angus

Well I have been back for a while but just flat strap.

Motivation was down as well to write due to a very tough week at straddy For holidays goers the weather "looked good" but the swells and winds were very counter productive for my usual haunts.

The beach was going ok on the first day with a few fish like this caught:

post-63-144599061916_thumb.jpg

However from that day on we just could not find the school. Our bag of dart was however turned into an awesome feed. Using my new smoker I smoked half and grilled half. Delicious.

post-63-144599061925_thumb.jpg

I did also run into another young AFO members who had managed to cast up a couple of these on the beach using a Nordic Stage Areal. That would have been fun !

post-63-144599061933_thumb.jpg

Aside from that we managed to piece together a few more fish from the rocks, mainly a lower tides.

Dad got a few of these Painted Mowong. THis was not the biggest and gee they go hard. I have a bunch of big tarwhine pictures as well but need to get them off my camera (forgot they were not on phone when I started typing).

post-63-144599061942_thumb.jpg

Despite the lack of fish straddy is always awesome. Due to bush fires due guys were feeding on our lawn every morning!

post-63-14459906195_thumb.jpg

Hopefully get back there soon to even the score with some of those kings.

Angus

Like our week over there Angus we book a fair way in advance and hope for the best weather wise but it is a big island with plenty to do and just being with mates kicking around there is awesome fishing is just a bonus hope we can coincide our weeks next year

Nice report Angus!

Just wondering what line weights setup you're running and what gear you use off those rocky areas?

Nice fish! Looks yummo.

Cheers

Hey mate. To answer your question it is no secret that I really like to fish as light as I can get away with.

The rocks at straddy however are very varied with what we target and how we do it.

For example off the point I use a 10-20lb rod and a 4000 size reel as Kingies are the target with Tuna, macks and decent trevs all being possible.

For those more bread and butter species I go right down to a 4-8lb, or is the case of the last trip 2-6lb rod and 1000 sized. With some patience this will land most things however can go wrong! Last trip I hooked a suspected Spangled Emp (not uncommon) or large Painted Mowong on the 2-6lb rod. This fish I doubt knew it was hooked and with as much effort applied as possible through the gear I never ever turned its head. Sadly I lost it to a bomby, but at least got line back right to the leader.

Some will call this silly, but I have no doubt using this light gear allows me to hook twice as many fish in the first place.

In the surf I use the same light gear. Not super advisable, but I really enjoy catching big dart on the light stuff. When the westerlies are blowing the surf flattens out and makes it doable. Ironically however its in the easterlies the fish come in closer so it is always a juggling act.

Angus

Archived