Beach launching Double Island Point HELP!?!?

old mate

Just wondering if anyone on here has ever beach launched at DI?

Mate and I are thinking about giving it a go, I know my ute is more then capable of pulling a boat through the sand and launching into the water. Biggest concern is depth and weather there is any swell what so ever in the lagoon.

Any help would be Awesome.

Cheers Chris

G'day.

We have beach launched there many of times however not in the last year. In previous years the lagoon has only been just open, with the channel only being deep enough for any size boat at the very top of the tide. Not to worry though as ever so slightly west you will generally find a gutter where it used to be open. We have launched there fine in a 5.4m glass boat, just be vary wary of the very soft sand there. The swell in there has been minimal due to being protected by the headland. There has also been a sand bar behind the gutter that has protected it reasonably well.

Hope this has helped and hopefully someone has been there and beach launched recently.

Regards

Matt

G'day.

We have beach launched there many of times however not in the last year. In previous years the lagoon has only been just open, with the channel only being deep enough for any size boat at the very top of the tide. Not to worry though as ever so slightly west you will generally find a gutter where it used to be open. We have launched there fine in a 5.4m glass boat, just be vary wary of the very soft sand there. The swell in there has been minimal due to being protected by the headland. There has also been a sand bar behind the gutter that has protected it reasonably well.

Hope this has helped and hopefully someone has been there and beach launched recently.

Regards

Matt

Hey Matt

Do you need a modified draw bar to get enough depth to launch or is it steep enough?

Thanks CW

Was up there two weekends ago. Plenty of easy launching areas into the lagoon, no extended drawbar required, if anything they are too steep. Channel draining the lagoon would be easily 2m+ on a low tide, little more shallow out the front. Unless the swell is really up you shouldn't have any dramas getting out. Bloke launched and went out in a 4.2 when i was there, he caught nothing though.

The leisha track was pretty chopped up when I was there and a lot of washouts on Teewah beach which made for a slow trip home in the dark. Access from rainbow township really only 1-2hrs max either side of low.

Archived