GC Tailor 17-04

Damien2Rad

Hey guys,

I've been getting into the tailor in the surf down the southern Gold Coast. I know they're not a glamorous species and not to everyone's palate, but I quite enjoy fresh tailor on the BBQ.

I went down to Currumbin for a pre dawn start, but due to the super calm conditions there was no white water and it took a long time to get a fish. Ended up with about 3 hits, one of which was landed, I'm sure all the surf fishing fellas know full well the pain of a tailor jumping off in the wash, because that happened too!

Ended giving up around 8 and made our way north the our Secret spot north of Burleigh just to have a look.... and what a surprise that was! From the look out we could see many large fish in the surf, after running back to the car grabbing the gear, running over the headland to where we saw fish we quickly noticed that they had moved on. So we went back to the lookout and spotted another school, we mountain goated our way down the side of the head land and ended up getting some good fish, including my friend Kanes first legal fish on a lure, and popped the cherry of his new combo with a beautiful 51cm fish - at about 10am! We got one more here and dropped a few more before they went off the bite.

Ended up with a nice feed with two 37-39cm fish and the big boy.

Lures were of course the Abu Garcia Toby

post-7684-144599104657_thumb.jpg

post-7684-144599104667_thumb.jpg

post-7684-144599104673_thumb.jpg

post-7684-144599104679_thumb.jpg

post-7684-144599104685_thumb.jpg

post-7684-144599104692_thumb.jpg

Cheers fellas,

Damien.

If any one is keen to head down for a flick some time shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the report and great pics Damien. Well done on a good tailor catch this early in the season. With the dam levels so high, I've been washed out from all my freshwater fishing spots. I've beem musing about beach fishing for tailor and after reading your report I'll be giving it a go soon. I usually fish the gutters from Narrowneck to the SPJetty.

Cheers... Joe.

Tailor from the beach has be one of my top 3 favourite fishing methods.Hard to beat.

Stones normally produce better fish, yeah , but more fun from the sand imo.

Nice work bud.

Both spots I fish are next to the rocks, but not always safe or the right water to fish. I'd like to try Burleigh itself as I've heard some good things.

But I have to agree, there's something about the sand between the toes.

Haven't seen toby's for ages, looks like they are getting fancy colors instead of the old options of silver or gold like the bottom one. :D

Nice job on cooking the tailor, I reckon the little bit of burned bit makes them taste great. Looked after and eaten fresh beautiful. They are a ton of fun regardless of where you get them.

Damien2Rad,

Good effort on tailor, I'm gearing up to go down next week but not sure if this so called heavy rain going to cause problems.

Those lures you used are certainly different, I've used Halco twistys and Slider Lures.

What hook are you using in conjunction with the treble?

What type of leader do you use? I've been using 40lb standard mono, keep breaking my leader after 5 casts.

Have you tried another spool of mono? I had some dodgy bekley vanish 20lb once and it kept snapping as I did a beach cast (absolute pain as I was through hook, sinker, swivel into the ocean x3 before I considered something was wrong and investigated)

I tried another spool of vanish and it was perfect, and I have never had that occur since

Damien2Rad,

Good effort on tailor, I'm gearing up to go down next week but not sure if this so called heavy rain going to cause problems.

Those lures you used are certainly different, I've used Halco twistys and Slider Lures.

What hook are you using in conjunction with the treble?

What type of leader do you use? I've been using 40lb standard mono, keep breaking my leader after 5 casts.

Chewbacoo there is something very wrong busting 40lb just casting unless you are trying to throw a bowling ball :D

My guess is you have a bad runner or two. Grab an old stocking from wherever you can get one and run it up through all of the guides. You will probably find the stocking will catch on any bad ones rather than through smoothly and they will need to be replaced.

Grab an old stocking from wherever you can get one and run it up through all of the guides.

I was about to suggest sending a PM to Brian/Ellicat to see if he could spare one but then realised it is getting a bit cold so he may not be willing to part with any ............ :whistle: :evil: :woohoo: :P :ohmy: :sick:

Archived