Bassin before the Storm

Joe K

Hi Guys! Weather forecast was possible late afternoon thunderstorms so I drove to Wivenhoe for a quick session. Arriving at my fishing mate's secret spot and I could feel the humidity. A storm front was approaching, wind gusting over 30km and the water was choppy. 

In my rush to start fishing I miscast, just missing a snag. 2nd cast, on the second drop the blade is smashed hard and I am onto a heavy fish. 15m from the bank the fish snags up and I open the bale arm. After 10secs the line is peeling off the spool and the fish is out of the snag. I pump it to the surface with a tight drag and laugh seeing this beaut fat girl. 

Next 5 casts I hookup 3 times but lose the fish to straightened hooks and the bass move on. 20mins later a school of smaller 40cm bass appear and I land 3 more bass. The wind is now gusting hard, waves are soaking me and I see lightning. In my soggy clothes I make a run for the car. Another great day fishing. Happy Bassin!:fishing2:

image.png

Thanks guys! I have'nt found any bass schools over the past 5 trips. Could be the erratic winds have scattered the bigger bass in the dams. It's another warm humid day and I'm free at 4pm. Got to decide which of 3 nearby dams to fish or perhaps topwater river bassin if there is no wind.:)

Archived