Upper Kedron Brook - heaps of fish about

curranboy99

Hello I thought I might add a report for a couple days ago this week in the Kedron brook.

I left home at about 8.00am and walked down to the "bridge pond" which the water depth is about 1.2m - 1.5m deep, has a gravel bottom with some rocks, and has plenty of nasty timber snags on either side of the creek as well as a massive fallen gum with an eddy in 1.5m's of water that is a lure eater. I had set up on the edge of the bike path and was using cured sandworms as bait on a sz4 mustad fineworm hook with sz00 ball sinker running onto it hoping to catch some catties for some fun. I was flicking my bait on to the gravel bed beside obvious mounds and shallow spots.

Over 2 hours fished without a tap I saw heaps and heaps of big tilapia tight against the shady spots (which is a concern) as well as the usual mullet in the dozens. I was packing my tackle up and I decided for a last cast and made the stupid decision of using 3lb main line and a 4lb fluoro leader in a snaggy creek 5m wide, I felt a tap, tap, then some weight I lifted the rod and made two cranks of the handle then thud, thud, thud of the rod and the line peeled of the reel insanely fast as the massive eel tail was going towards a small timber log but for some reason it stopped before it made it to it and it surfaced, when I saw it my legs went to jellie as it was massive pushing at least 60cm and 2kg!!!! I made half a crank of the handle then it went for another run towards the log and the line got caught around it and popped :bye:

After that I packed up and went looking for my heavy outfits to try again soon...

1 minute ago, Albinus said:

They fish well in low light. Breeding fish are extremely territorial. I'm surprised you didn't land any tillies, they normally go nuts for worms.

I'm surprised about the tillies as well, there was heaps of them and they were of good size. That is very true about breeding fish are territorial they don't let anything get near them which makes for easy fishing on lures :) 

Archived