Bait feeder/runner reels

boon

Oh well I do want to get a casting net in the near future for live baits. Guess getting ready for the sharking season. Haha. Also like the way I can just use the bait runner function with dead bait and flick it when I want to hoook the fish.

I like baitrunners when fishing for big fish / sharks.

Allows the fish to take the bait with little resistance, and when you start winding the main drag comes on. Means your not adjusting the drag when you get a bite.

Its also a lot easier to peel a bit of line off the reel if you slip the baitrunning drag on (IE if you wind in to far before casting)

Feral wrote:

How's that work Gazza? (I know bugger all about overheads).

I would have thought the chances of an over run would have been high, and if the drag is that lose, wont the handle just spin freely?

Release the spool either buy button or lever as if you want to cast but the rachet prevents over run never had one even on the biggests hits then when ready re engauge reel the drag is set to strike

works a treat ;)

Gaz

I would go for the Shimano. 10 year warranty, and we've never had any problems with any shimano gear.

Ferel: Simply, what you do is cast normally and when you would usually turn the handle to engage the drag, you just put the ratchet on. This causes a bit of friction but a fish taking the bait won't know it's hooked. To set the hook, all you do is turn the handle, like you would do with a baitrunner.

There's a Shimano Baitrunner combo on special at various tackle stores in November. They are great. Especially for bream fishing. You can just leave the rod in the holder and the fish take it. by the time you pick it up and wind to engage the drag the fish has usually swallowed the hook enough so when you strike you'll hook it properly. Don't use these if you intend on catch and release though because more often then not the fish will swallow the hook.

I have got 3 shimano baitrunner reels which came with me from the uk.Being new to oz fishing i don't know how i can use them to full effect,but i can fully recommend these reels.The drag and free run are fully adjustable.A very smooth and reliable reel.But they seem to be different in oz than uk.

I used mine for the first time on Sunday caught a 1.2mtr eel at Tygun lagoon.

I think it depends on what you want it for.

Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I'll be getting one of the shimano baitrunners at the end of year but I also want something smaller 2000-3000 size for the bream and flatties. Any recommendations? How are the tica sporteras, daiwa regal plus and captiva liveliners? Also had a feel of rod's okuma endurance which wasn't too bad.

Mines actually an Okuma Travertine 55, but is similar to the endurance.

Okuma make at least 3 levels of baitrunner:

endurance (approx $45-65), travertine(approx $69+) and a more expensive model which is the epixor eb range ($120+).

so far so good on the travertine, very well priced (combo was 69.99) same price as the reel alone normally, but I have only fished with it about 4-5 times so far. Love the baitrunner/feeder function though, it allows me to flick sp's on one rod, and the travertine is left unattended with the baitrunner set light.

Just keep an ear out for the drag singing, then lift to strike home.

As Dan said, I can see that gut hooking may become an issue, especially if using small hooks, so choose dependant upon target species and catch/release.

I had an okuma endurance for about 3 or 4 months. Caught a few few decent fish on it including an 8kg threadfin and a few mahi mahi to about 100cm. I thought it was great when it worked. One day the antireverse stuffed up. I pulled it apart to solve the problem and found it was full of rust. Even after normal post fishing maintenance every single internal and external screw was rusted. What a piece of crap!:angry: I threw it straight in the bin after salvaging the fireline off it.

I have a few shimano reels that were the same price or cheaper but have outlasted it by more than 10 times. Stick to shimano or daiwa. Okuma should stick to making rubber dog sh!t or whatever it is that they do best.

well i was loving my epixor 80 baitrunner till to day i had a good run on a livie\"25cmbream\" when i picked up the rod and struck the rotten thing locked up on me and the handle wouldnt turn the whole guts seized up so trying to cup the drag as it was stuck in baitrunner i snapped the shark off bugger farkfaark then i grabbed the rotor and twisted hard it made a crack noise and seems to be working fine now but before this its been a great reel and has landed 5ft bullies and snapper to 74cm :) ill probably be buying shimano next time again they dont screw up simple:)

ive got two of them ,one is amongst the first shimano baitrunners that came out, it must be 15 years old, and one that is 3 years old..the first has two drags on top of the spool giving you a range of drag, when the main drag is set..they called it fighting drag settings..this old reel still works extremely well ,but a little roughly :laugh: :laugh: .. i used to use them for snapper bait fishing...only use plastic now..but still with shimano gear..

interesting I have a little Okuma bait runner, Epix or something (about $120 worth) But it is a very solid and smooth reel, never had a problem with it. I'm pretty sure Okuma have a life time warrenty now too so I don't think you can go wrong on them. I also have the el-cheapo Okuma model in a much larger size. It's not where near as smooth as the more expensive one of course but has served me fine so far. I got it on special for like $50 or so.

I just put a bid on a penn captiva liveliner last night and won it at AUD65 shipped. Couldn't find much reviews on them but rod's captiva felt really solid and it looked really well used and was still in great condition so it should stand the test of time and saltwater :) Can't wait to get a shimano baitrunner though when I get home to malaysia :)

Archived