More Lures

T_H

Hey guys its been a while but been busy with life. Finally got a chance to get stuck into some more lure making. Thought id post a few pics and see what everyone thinks. Hoping in another 6mths i might have a few available. This will be my main focus for 2017. Cheers guys and girls. Poppers are 170mm (135g) stickies are 95mm (28g)  pushers were just a bit of fun but they have a sick action and most  have been lost to spanish mackerel. Few yft landed and a wahoo with very limited water time so pretty stoked with them. Hopefully get some testing on marlin this summer and tuna barrels next year. If anyone knows about clear cast polyester resin let me kow. Will habe testing and fish pics soon. Cheers Tim

IMG_2257.JPG

IMG_2267.JPG

IMG_2295.JPG

IMG_2273.JPG

IMG_2307.JPG

20160927_093621.jpg

The array of colours are certainly grad your attention. Cosmetically they look good. If you are going to be selling them ain the future a few questions I would be asking is. 

Are the poppers rear weighted for easy casting with out tumbling in the air or when popping?

The popper faces design look like they would bite in very well and good for choppy water conditions. 

We maybe able to catch up with you in March 2017 being up your way. 

Hey guys cheers for the messages. The popper are rear weighted and cast excellent. I have been testing them out alot. They dont tumble when casting and work well in all conditions. I have put 1.6mm 316 thru wire and have had no issues during testing with that. I will be working on a 190mm version which will have 2.4mm. The 170 is a great all day popper. Can be worked easily with long rod strokes as well as fast small chugs. They are finished with 8 coats of clearcoat. @fifis101 @Luvit

Be very keen for a march session. I wont be looking to sell full time. Just make some small batch lures. Not trying to set the world on fire. 

Cheers guys. 

IMG_2322.JPG

IMG_2323.JPG

IMG_2319.JPG

IMG_2354.JPG

IMG_2335.JPG

IMG_2375.JPG

IMG_2377.JPG

IMG_2347.JPG

The colours of the lures really pop and add to the photos of the fish.

(Seems a strange thing but sometimes I pick a lure colour that will look good in photos.)

It is hard to appreciate the amount of time and effort it takes to make a lure from scratch. Great to see the results increase as you fine tune different aspects of the manufacturing. 

Pm'd you and it would be good if we can arrange a catch up and purchase some lures.

1.6mm is ok but when you get both sets of hooks in the fish, 1.6mm can distort and break out of the lure. I have been working with 2mm on my wooden lures which is a bit harder to work with but not too bad after a couple of practice runs. I feel like it gives you a bit more rigidity in the wire. This all depends on how you are shaping your wire for your cast lures. I'm only working with wooden lures personally, so the way I shape my wire is most likely very different you you. 

2.4mm wire is pretty bloody hard to work with. It really is tough as all hell.

Cheers @fifis101. I guess time will tell. Ive had no drama so far. Touch wood. We have even straightened  some belly hooks and the thru wire has stayed perfect. Ive never worked with timber so not sure if the popper react differently to the resin.the resin sets thru the wire so it ends up pretty ridgid. But again time will tell. Ive seen big GTs bend the 2.4 as well. Sometimes you just hook em in the wrong place. What size are your poppers? Cheers mate

49 minutes ago, T_H said:

Cheers @fifis101. I guess time will tell. Ive had no drama so far. Touch wood. We have even straightened  some belly hooks and the thru wire has stayed perfect. Ive never worked with timber so not sure if the popper react differently to the resin.the resin sets thru the wire so it ends up pretty ridgid. But again time will tell. Ive seen big GTs bend the 2.4 as well. Sometimes you just hook em in the wrong place. What size are your poppers? Cheers mate

Yes you do have the advantage of the resin setting the wire solid in position.

The poppers I have worked with are a few different sizes but mainly around the 180mm 130g size.

On 12/1/2016 at 4:52 PM, T_H said:

They def both have there advantages and disadvantages. Id be keen to try some 2mm stuff. I could only find 1.6 and 2.4.from BOC. Cheers @fifis101 

Yeah those sizes are the common standard for tig wire but I found some 2.0mm on ebay. Link Below:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Boswell-2-0mm-x-1KG-Stainless-Steel-ER308L-TIG-FILLER-RODS-Welding-Welder-Rod-/271868676535?hash=item3f4ca2c9b7:g:NocAAOSwl8NVZuLv

Archived