Chasing Jacks This Weekend...

Angus

So with the FOTM being jacks this month I thought it might be worth geeing up the competition a little bit.

It is going to be a bit blowy this weekend but the good thing about jacks is they love canals where we might be able to find some cover.

Anyway I am getting on google maps to try and suss some options...

Is anyone else getting out there?

Angus

4 hours ago, christophagus said:

i was dusted up in the pine twice in a session last week....

so im still yet to land my first jack!

I hit one of the spots I was in last year on the weekend. Found the bait but didn't find the Jacks :(

This weekend. If that fails then I might have to get drastic and hit the Burrum or Baffle maybe. Will see what @Old Scaley reports this week :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

On 10/01/2017 at 7:43 PM, Madmic said:

I hit one of the spots I was in last year on the weekend. Found the bait but didn't find the Jacks :(

This weekend. If that fails then I might have to get drastic and hit the Burrum or Baffle maybe. Will see what @Old Scaley reports this week :1310_thumbsup_tone1:

Well Mick, you might have to head to Baffle. Fishing and crabbing was extremely quiet to say the least. Spent a fair bit of time setting and resetting crab pots this week, 10 pots between me and 2 neighbours up some rediculously skinny drains and creeks for 5 days straight for 1 legal crab. Heaps of undersize and girl crabs. Almost had 2 head on crashes with idiots flying around blind corners in narrow creeks.

Had a few jack hunts, but only connected twice and lost both into the snags. Huge tides meant the fish were probably right up in the mangroves at high tide. Also meant a lot of run. Heaps of bait right through the system.  Not much being caught anywhere except for the good old reliable beam right out in front of the house we rent so at least we could have a fish meal every night. Got a couple of cod at the same spot but didn't have a measure with me so let them both go.  First night we were there some guys were shark fishing off the ramp in front of our house - right where we go swimming - and pulled in a pretty healthy looking bullie. I didn't get a great look at it but judging by the tail it was probably 5 feet or more. I have been telling Mrs Scaley for years that there would be sharks there. Didn't stop us from swimming but we stayed out of the  channel this year.

Beautiful weather for swimming. A truckload of beer, cricket and tennis on the tellie so life was good even with slow fishing. Now back to work on Monday. :baby:

Thanks for the report @Old Scaley. I wish the fishing had of been better for you but like you said at least the humble Bream kept you fed and the beer along with the other stuff made it great anyway.

I had another go in the Pine River today as the conditions felt perfect ie bloody hot with an afternoon storm coming on :1310_thumbsup_tone1: Had some left over Poddy Mullet and prawns from the last live baiting trip in the freezer so I grabbed them to save time as I was a little later than I had hoped. The cast net was in the boat but only if the bait in the freezer didn't get hit.

When I got to the boat ramp it was crowded with people fishing from the bank which at any other time would not had bothered be. This time however, to get to my favourite Jack spot I only need to travel 20 meters from the boat ramp... I did bite the bullet and discretely slip in to my little honey hole.

3 bust offs and one Cod says the bait was fine! I think there are 3 red fish in the Pine River with temporary piercings tonight haha. Oh well next weekend lol.

DSCN0733.JPG

I will be giving it a go tomorrow morning again I think. A different rod this time...last week I'm sure they were practically back in their snag by the time my rod had taken their whole weight. Shorter and stiffer this week and I'll change the position of the boat a bit to see if a different angle will help me to get one out of there!!

Archived