Project Tinny Bargain

rayke1938

Spotted this on another forum. Absolute bargain those old abalones are built like a tank.. Have a look at the photos and see how many ribs are in it. Sheet of ply for a floor and you would have a fantastic dam boat. or a bigger outboard and great bay boat . These hulls do have a wet ride but are so stable.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bracken-ridge/tinnies-dinghies/14-5ft-big-deep-tinny/1138708463

Cheers

Ray

it would really fly with a 40hp. I have similar hull with windscreen full flotation built to survey specs as its x government turtle survey boat bow mount plus 2X12 volt 120 a/h deep cycles with a 30 hp merc 4 banger does 30kph . When i take 3 or 4 people I go down a prop size.

Cousin used to have same hull as per ad with full floor and centre console and it went well with a 18hp tohatsu on it.

Cheers

Ray

My mate has the Clark Abalone 4.9, which I'm guessing is the next size up. Having fished out of it many times, I can also vouch that these hulls are bullet-proof. He recently upgraded from a 40hp to a Yamaha 60hp four stroke. Top speed is about 26 knots fully loaded, of which he crosses Moreton Bay quite regularly in it.

For $1K, this would be a good project.

36 minutes ago, Tybo said:

My mate has the Clark Abalone 4.9, which I'm guessing is the next size up. Having fished out of it many times, I can also vouch that these hulls are bullet-proof. He recently upgraded from a 40hp to a Yamaha 60hp four stroke. Top speed is about 26 knots fully loaded, of which he crosses Moreton Bay quite regularly in it.

For $1K, this would be a good project.

HHHmmmmmmmmmm seriously interested now....

Would it be big enough to take to the Group? 

If I put a 40hp on it and a floor and a center console?

10 minutes ago, Drop Bear said:

HHHmmmmmmmmmm seriously interested now....

Would it be big enough to take to the Group? 

If I put a 40hp on it and a floor and a center console?

I could be a pessimist but I reckon you want higher sides to go to the group.

Angus 

14 hours ago, rayke1938 said:

These hulls do have a wet ride but are so stable.

Attaching a tarp-like cover/protector between the hull and the bow rails would help with this to a certain degree. Obviously wound depend on swell direction but would be a cheap way to minimise 'wetness' ... :) Looks a good project for someone if the hull was the length they were looking for.

Archived