Pb Whiting & A Dino Style Bream Score.

Angus

Well what a fun session. Hit a new spot this morning with good results. Using exclusively topwater lures my mate Joel and I yakked the dawn chasing, well whatever would bite.

20180127_062940.jpg

It was a bit slow to start with a few pike coming over the side... Things were looking grim and took this snap so I could at least do a poor report.

20180127_060811.jpg

No long after the sun breached we came to a little drop off. The current was moving over the shallow weed beds and edying as it hit the deep water. This is were things improved. Every cast was a bream hit with over 20 landed in an hour. The most productive and entertaining session in ages. Stopped taking pictures as well, they all look the same after a while...

20180127_063546.jpg20180127_073010.jpg20180127_072957.jpg20180127_065257.jpg

As if I was not happy enough the last fish I hooked was my best for the day. After a solid no mucking around surface hit and a brilliant fight in less than 1m of water  I caught site of a huge whiting. A measure confirmed what I had been hoping. A new PB at 43cm. A genuine elbow slapper :)

20180127_075032.jpg

20180127_074853.jpg

Very happy with the session I was home to help with the kids by 8am. Great start to the day.

20180127_063546.jpg

Awesome report mate! That is some fish. Cracking 43 top water! its funny, some of the big 40+ whiting I have caught are healthy solid fish like yours and I have caught sad old whiting that have narrow shoulders and fight like an old boot. 

I will have to sit and chat to you over a beer sometime soon and get some tips. I have not had enormous success on top water and really want to do a lot of it in Woolli when we go there at Easter. We normally float unweighted yabbies that work well but surface strikes are so much fun. 

Bream are fun too when they are on like that!

Thanks for the read. 

PS @Howler is coming over this afternoon for a beer and a crab pot fix for a crabbing sesh so will let you know how we go with the pots. 

1 hour ago, Drop Bear said:

Awesome report mate! That is some fish. Cracking 43 top water! its funny, some of the big 40+ whiting I have caught are healthy solid fish like yours and I have caught sad old whiting that have narrow shoulders and fight like an old boot. 

I will have to sit and chat to you over a beer sometime soon and get some tips. I have not had enormous success on top water and really want to do a lot of it in Woolli when we go there at Easter. We normally float unweighted yabbies that work well but surface strikes are so much fun. 

Bream are fun too when they are on like that!

Thanks for the read. 

PS @Howler is coming over this afternoon for a beer and a crab pot fix for a crabbing sesh so will let you know how we go with the pots. 

Take mine if you want. In back yard.

The smile says it all @Angus, well done!

23 hours ago, ellicat said:

I'm still searching for that elusive +40.

I got my best at 44 when I was 16 in Kauri creek. I called it for a stingray as it pulled off that much line at pace, I even netted it when it came boat side out of shock. You'll never forget your first +40, I've never even got close since.

53 minutes ago, Tybo said:

I got my best at 44 when I was 16 in Kauri creek. I called it for a stingray as it pulled off that much line at pace, I even netted it when it came boat side out of shock. You'll never forget your first +40, I've never even got close since.

"Called it for a stingray"!!!! wow thats impressive. 

I have caught quite a few over 40, Wooli river is awesome for big whiting. Best is 45 but this one was so old and unfit it just let me pull it in. 

Nice one angus, cracking fish. I’ve only caught one on topwater, it went 41.

not trying to show off but fluked my pb off the beach on a pippie, think I was about 15 or 16. Went 51cm and went like a train. Get a few in the low 40’s at the pin in a couple of the more out of the way places. @ellicat the fish have been there, you’re usually too busy rolling a smoke to catch them though! :whistle:

8 hours ago, benno573 said:

Nice one angus, cracking fish. I’ve only caught one on topwater, it went 41.

not trying to show off but fluked my pb off the beach on a pippie, think I was about 15 or 16. Went 51cm and went like a train. Get a few in the low 40’s at the pin in a couple of the more out of the way places. @ellicat the fish have been there, you’re usually too busy rolling a smoke to catch them though! :whistle:

It is interesting you say that as the tackle store I went to later that day saod a young person had only just recently weighed in a 500mm + fish in their social comp. I have seen them in the flesh to 450mm but that is it. Oh well new grail!

Archived