Tasmanian Scallop Season

VandiemanFishing

Its been a while since the last report so I thought it was about time I put something up. 

Just recently the recreational scallop season has opened up here in Tasmania. Our whole family loves scallops so we decided to go on a trip for the opening weekend "Last Saturday". We dive from hookahs in the Mercury Passage which is in-between Maria Island and Orford, the scallops are plentiful here and good size at that. They are in roughly 12m of water, although they can be caught both shallower and deeper. Water Visibility was fairly good, and overall weather apart from some rain was good. The bag limit for all types of scallops in Tas is 50 combined per person and it takes roughly 20 mins to grab your bag. With the extra weight of the scallops in my catch bag I did encounter a slight problem with over overfilling the bag and struggling to get back up but I managed in the end:) After around any hour of diving, we had 150 commercial scallops onboard with a few Queen Scallops in the mix. I had a little bit of time left so we headed to a nearby island, Lachlan Island. Where I managed a good sized Male Southern Rock Lobster. I did see a few other crays along a ledge but unfortunately they escaped capture, bugger! Overall it was a good day, with quite a few boats up there. We already have more trips planned being this Friday and Hopefully the coming Tuesday and I'll keep you updated of our results. Unfortunately due to an awkward camera angle, I won't be able to produce a video from the footage shot, although I am planning to get some more footage this Friday which will hopefully be a better angle.

Best Regards

Blake

The Southern Rock Lobster

rIMG_1933.thumb.JPG.01562e019033abaa0341d5310dbd8307.JPG

Sending my old man in as shark bait!

IMG_1932.thumb.JPG.dbae0d39e4138c0926a1ba74e5e75aa8.JPG

The feed of fresh scallops

IMG_1935.thumb.PNG.7ff69b0526e4709f45551b8ad90bdd80.PNG

Roughly where we dive for our scallops!

IMG_1952.thumb.PNG.3dfd1a4f5f427a5a1f3088baa521d343.PNG

If you haven't liked my Facebook Page yet feel free to do so, they will be a giveaway coming up soon and its a great way to stay updated.

https://www.facebook.com/vandiemanfishing/

Youtube Channel

Archived