Cooking Crabs

Proffs

Hi all,

finally got one of those pesky jumpinpin sand crabs in my net on the weekend (after many failed attempts! :P ) and as I've never even eaten one I was wondering how long exactly I should boil him. He measures bout 16cm across.

Thanks in advance, :cheer:

Proffs

Cowfish13 wrote:

I usually do 7mins or so. Make sure you boil it in salt water tho.

Thanks Cowfish13!

I checked a few threads earlier n noticed about salty water & vinegar & ice slurrys etc but just needed a rough time. ;)

:huh: I just got real hungry all of a sudden. :lol:

Dont boil it mate.

I dont like boiling my crabs. Just clean it salt water and break it up then put it on ice in a plastic bag. Heat up a wok little oils on the bottom and through it in with lid on top. Let it cook in its own juces. Then when cooked you can pour the juices from the pot over the flesh not wasting any flavour. I personally think you get beeter flavour this way since boiling it your loosing alot of the crabs natural juices in the water. If you like garlic and chiili put a bit of that in for a change.

Proffs wrote:

Also...... anyone got any tips on netting them when they keep stealin your bait? They're pretty elusive little buggers!

If you ever feel a dead weight on your line, wind in very very slowely until it is near the boat, then quickly get someone to net it. We catch heaps by doing this.

ryno1983 wrote:

Dont boil it mate.

I dont like boiling my crabs. Just clean it salt water and break it up then put it on ice in a plastic bag. Heat up a wok little oils on the bottom and through it in with lid on top. Let it cook in its own juces. Then when cooked you can pour the juices from the pot over the flesh not wasting any flavour. I personally think you get beeter flavour this way since boiling it your loosing alot of the crabs natural juices in the water. If you like garlic and chiili put a bit of that in for a change.

That sounds like the go Ryno! I'll try that I think.

So i guess its the same as a lot of crustaceans as in its cooked when it looks cooked (changed colour)??

Does that make sense? :huh: :S

Cowfish: Yeah, thats how I got this guy. Guess I'll just have to keep tryin!

Archived