Aal

Hi All,

I'll hopefully be heading out to the Greater Keppel Island and surround in early April to do some camping and fishing with a few mates.

I've never been there so I was just after some advice?

Likely be camping one of the smaller islands and will have a small 4m center console.

Was also thinking of having fun with a hand spear in shallow reefs / shallows around the island?

Any advice with regards to the fishing? Spots to try? What are some channels / drop offs? Not your spot X, just a tip or two would be much appreciated to get me started.

Regards,

Aal

Hey mate,

I have just moved to Yeppoon for 10 weeks and the weather for the last week has been bloody awful. Beautiful sunny days however the wind is very strong like more then 20knots every day so far. I was talking to a guy who has a 6m boat the other day and he said he hasn't been out for nearly 3 months due to the wind. Maybe just look into long range forecasts if there is any available for the wind. 

I've done a little bit of beach fishing since being here however haven't even had a bite or a bump on metal slugs.. 

1 hour ago, Aal said:

dam, you reckon you can get out there in a  4 meter center console?

@Aal  As far as I know you can get there by ferry. But I don’t think there is a barge or any other way to get your boat across and taking enough camping gear, spare fuel, booze etc for a couple of people across  20km of ocean in a 4m boat would be adventurous but possible if you had the best conditions for the trip to and from, but probably not advisable. 

If you want to try island fishing and camping and be able to get your boat there safely on a ferry, google North West Island.  Never been there myself but I know people who have done it and loved it. The fishing looks insane at times.

Mate at present I have been here for 2 weeks and I own a 470sf  Haines boat and I wouldn't dare go out in this up here. Today I drove to Rocky and my 80 was being blown all over the highway...... ITs ****ed! 

I'm gonna try my luck at the Causeway this weekend as the beaches are so rough it's pointless!  

Archived