transducer placement

James W

i have got a sounder for my yak..but im having trouble deciding where to put the transducer and bracket?...any one got any pics of where they have theirs placed?...they say put em in front of your fins(hobie=peddle power) but its sure to get knocked around:S ...will the turbulence be \"that \" bad if i have it put on the back?......frustrated:blink:

i got a humming bird pirana max 210...jeez! i have had a blode moment!...i was looking at lee's (pc souloution) sounder rig on akff and he did have it on the inside and i was asking to show me the transducer on the outside....:blush: ...well thats cool then...i was stressing that i spent all this cash on it and i was gunna have to risk knocking it off on the rocks....thanks usernametaken!...better go edit my post on the other site then:blush:

Fitting the transducer

Having decided on location, the first item to fit is the transducer as this will take the longest to glue. I chose to locate my transducer under the seat, I have easy access to it via the hatch fitted earlier in this project and it is well away from the forward hatch where I tuck my rods when returning to the beach through surf. Make sure that you read your installation instructions before fixing so that you know which way round the transducer must face.

Rough up the area where the transducer is going to be located with some 80 grit sand paper and then clean the area with Methylated Spirits and a clean cloth, keep folding the cloth until no more colour comes off on the material. Mark a couple of dots on the roughened area centrally one behind the other to give a visual reference when locating the transducer. Using some plasticine roll a nice long sausage large enough to go around the transducer plus 25mm extra space all round. Put the plasticine ring into position inside the hull.

On to mixing your adhesive. As most of the adhesives suggested on the American sites are unavailable in the UK, I decided to find something available over here. I tested several types on the piece of deck that I removed when fitting the hatch out of these I chose to use 'Devcon 2 Ton Epoxy' it bonds well, sets clear and with few bubbles with the bonus of extra working time. Please test before using, as epoxy gets incredibly hot as it cures, the larger the quantity mixed, the hotter it will get, you could end up with a very large hole in your hull, if in doubt check with your kayak's manufacturer.

As shown in the picture slowly squeeze the epoxy into a shallow pot, whilst turning the pot and stirring thoroughly with the nozzles, try to get as few bubbles in the mix as possible. I used about 75% of both tubes. Pour the mix into the plasticine circle and allow to stand for 10 minutes, no longer, this should allow time for the bubbles to surface and pop. Press the transducer into the epoxy starting at the back and rocking forward to expel any bubbles from between the transducer and hull, twist a couple of times and align it in its final position, the plasticine will stop the epoxy spreading around the inside of the hull and make a nice deep puddle around the transducer.

Place a heavy weight on top of the transducer to help maintain its position. Leave for 24 hours.

Finally run the transducer cable up forward towards the display unit, I ran mine behind the scupper mouldings.

Got this off a UK website sounds pretty easy mate! i am told 48hours but.

Archived