Where To Buy Wood Hand Reels

Hannah6

Maybe try your local wood-working club or  men's shed and ask them to turn some on a lathe for you. I don't think it would be free but you are supporting a local cause. All the men in these sort of clubs are really nice and some will be happy to do for you for a carton of beer or possibly for free. I think it's worth a shot. At least you know it's going to be the best quality possible.

6 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hey Hannah6

I don't know about wooden ones, but like said above, if they aren't made anymore just keep your eye out in garage sales, second hand shops, Ebay, Gumtree, and the likes of that. 

Is there a performance difference between the cheap plastic ones from BCF and wooden ones? 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

I don't believe there is too much of a difference. It's like round baitcasters and low profile ones. I have 2 Calcutta's as I like the traditional style and they feel better for me. They aren't that much different from the Curado's and other high qualtiy reels I service. It's just the shape. The wooden ones are more 'traditional'.

9 hours ago, Jaz44 said:

I don't believe there is too much of a difference. It's like round baitcasters and low profile ones. I have 2 Calcutta's as I like the traditional style and they feel better for me. They aren't that much different from the Curado's and other high qualtiy reels I service. It's just the shape. The wooden ones are more 'traditional'.

Hi Jaz44

Ohh, you are talking about wooen reels. When I read hand reels, I thought Hannah6 was referring to handlines, like these ones from BCF - 

3 x Surecatch 6 Inch Fishing Hand Casters - Hand Lines

I guess if you like the more traditional reels though, then you would be on the lookout. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

47 minutes ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi Jaz44

Ohh, you are talking about wooen reels. When I read hand reels, I thought Hannah6 was referring to handlines, like these ones from BCF - 

3 x Surecatch 6 Inch Fishing Hand Casters - Hand Lines

I guess if you like the more traditional reels though, then you would be on the lookout. 

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

I believe he his Hamish. I was just comparing wooden handlines to traditional shaped baitcasters. Sorry to confuse you.

22 minutes ago, Jaz44 said:

I believe he his Hamish. I was just comparing wooden handlines to traditional shaped baitcasters. Sorry to confuse you.

Hey Jaz44

OK, that was probably my fault for reading your post above wrong - I re-read it now, and it makes perfect sense 🙂. If there is not must difference in performance, I guess it just must be preference 🙂 

Cheers Hamish