Fishermen's Gutter Report (20 June)

Hweebe

48 minutes ago, ellicat said:

Well done on the feed. Those little bonito are quite feisty for their size.

Mystery fish are always fun, hey. Did you cut him off or were you able to get your hook back ?

The shovel nose wasn't playing the game. We couldn't get it to stay next to the boat long enough to de-hook so had to cut as close to the hooks as possible. 

Funny incident when I cut the line the rod was loaded up so it flicked back into my partner face but she was saved by her cap brim (bearing the brunt). Close called  that we could laugh about but will have to be more careful next time. 

Just learning things and  tid bits to watch out for every time we hit the water.

2 hours ago, Drop Bear said:

Great report mate thanks for the read. 

I'm glad there are still some Schoolies around. Sorry you missed out on the Whiting. 

Cracking shovel nosed ray especially on light gear. Well done. 

Could be a case of don't believe everything you see on Facebook. One of my mates swears that nothing on FB should be believed. He reckons fishos are the worse with fake news. 🙂  

37 minutes ago, Hweebe said:

My partner especially likes mackerel as she likes to clay pot them, the fish oils help enhance the flavours of the food.

We cooked up  both the mac and one bonito last night. So good fresh. Both flesh turned out tasty with the bonito probably slightly drier in texture compared to the mackerel. So mackerel wins that one.

I fillet up the second bonito for flesh baits and kept all the fish heads for crab bait (no wastage from me)

Would be very keen for the clay pot recipe if that is possible. 

3 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Funny incident when I cut the line the rod was loaded up so it flicked back into my partner face but she was saved by her cap brim (bearing the brunt). Close called  that we could laugh about but will have to be more careful next time. 

Just learning things and  tid bits to watch out for every time we hit the water.

Yeah, That could have been nasty. Thank goodness for the cap facing the right way.

4 hours ago, Old Scaley said:

Would be very keen for the clay pot recipe if that is possible. 

I’m on it. Will do a right up and  post something once she has it measured out. Like most of her recipes it’s all in the memory bank (pinch of this sprinkle of that etc) never really think to convert this into a written down recipe

59 minutes ago, kmcrosby78 said:

Shame the whiting weren't around but good to see plan B produced a feed, well done! I need to do more whiting sessions to build up a bit of a knowledge bank of where to find them when - so much to learn ..... 🙂 

Ideal scenario where I’ve had most success with the winteries.

Incoming tide, with top of tide 2-3hrs after first light. Some wind 10-12knot to break up the water surface (more aggressive bite) with the drift speed over ground between 0.8 to 1 km/h. 
Water depth will vary depending on wind and light conditions with the whiting going shallower if they have cover and deeper if it is sunny and glassed.

I have faired better On sunny  days whereas if it’s rainy or lower pressure system around not as well.

Other then that never anchor up. Drift around until u find a good patch and keep working the drift over that area.

The trick is finding that first patch and you are set for the day.

The drift at the right speed keeps the bait moving and when it’s not too slow or first they find the drifting bait irresistible.