jred1

Hey jred1

I've just looked at it - it's another new recreation hub. Good luck with the thredies as well, if you get yourself some livies you'll have as good as a chance of anywhere else. Hopefully you get one - I find at night the recreation hubs are good because there are prawns (because of the lights) and fish (because of all the bait). 

The one thing I don't like about recreation hubs though (this has happened especially after Dutton Park Recreation Hub), that once the word gets out they're good spots (lights, and fish), it seems they are always overcrowded with scumbags who think it's OK to leave fish scales and guts, line, and other assorted crap all over the jetty. It really irritates me, because if they didn't keep every single fish they kept no matter what, they might actually be a clean place to fish in (I don't have a problem with people keeping legal fish, but more so when they keep undersize fish or jenny crabs). 

Sorry for ranting 😉, and I'm sure this spot will be a good one for threadies. I'm sure in Summer it will fire for sharks too. Good luck and make sure to tell us how you went... And for anyone interested, here is a link to a website about it - 

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/things-to-see-and-do/outdoor-activities/boating-canoeing-and-fishing/public-river-and-recreation-hubs-boat-ramps-canoe-ramps-and-pontoons/riverhills-recreation-hub

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Yeah, hoping people won't make too much of a mess down there. I've caught a few nice ones in that stretch from the boat on hardbodies targeting the mouths of feeder creeks, can sight cast to them in some cases when theyre feeding up on prawns in the shallows

used to get a lot of threadys of the oxley creek pontoon back in the early 2000's  before people started making a mess and council clamped down on it, one week i managed 3 trips 3 fish in 3 casts but this was pre 2011 floods when the drought had the river firing for saltwater models all the way up to the mt crosby weir and snapper and spangled emperor were not uncommon up to the newstead reaches of the river.

Hi jred1

Yeah, I have heard that the Oxley Creek pontoon can go OK sometimes. I live pretty close so it might pay I tow my cart there with a mate and give it a try. 

It is a shame the floods dirtied up the river so much, but at the same time, great it was once such a good fishing destination and that it will eventually be restored to the way it was. 🙂 Bring on the squire! 

Cheers Hamish

P.S. Sight casting them sounds great, I need to get more into chasing them on lures at the mouth of feeder creeks on the yak 🙂