Quick Release And Retrieve Systems

gungadin

I am wondering what gets the best reviews for a quick release and retrieve system. I am struggling to get out on the water, due to a couple of reasons. I am in my mid 70's and am having a difficult time launching and retrieving my 16ft open boat (Boston Whaler clone) by myself.  Climbing over the bow as it slides down the trailer is getting difficult. With the Covid restrictions I need to fish solo. I have done some research online and it seems there are several products that could fit the bill. It seems that the inventive Australians have done there homework in this regard. I am looking in particular at the "Launch and Retrieve Boat Latch" . https://boatlatch.com/index.htm. I was hoping that some of the forum members have used this product and can give me some idea of its pro and cons. Every video I have seen of its use was in calm waters. I have to launch in various conditions, wind and small waves are not unusual. Other makes I could look at are on the table as well of course. Thank you.

Where you launch do you have access to a pontoon? or would you prefer a launch process that doesn't require a pontoon? On my boat there I have something called a bar catch. Not the most sophisticated piece on engineering by bar crusher as it relies on a bungee cord to change from launch or retrieve but it does the job.

The catch allow me to drive off and drive on when fishing solo. However if there is no pontoon I still need climb over the front of the bow.

How do you see the quick release helping with the climbing problem?

For some of my launch sites, there is a wharf (pontoon?) that I can climb into the boat from, so I don't need to climb over the bow. On other sites (where I have to climb onto the bow), the boat starts to to move off the trailer as soon as I start to climb on so it becomes a race to get to the stern, lower the engine and start it up before I end up  somewhere I don't want to be.  With  an automatic release system I should be able to to do all of that  in a more relaxed and in my own sweet time, without tripping over fuel tanks, fishing gear and the like.😄 at least I hope so. 

18 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Where you launch do you have access to a pontoon? or would you prefer a launch process that doesn't require a pontoon? On my boat there I have something called a bar catch. Not the most sophisticated piece on engineering by bar crusher as it relies on a bungee cord to change from launch or retrieve but it does the job.

The catch allow me to drive off and drive on when fishing solo. However if there is no pontoon I still need climb over the front of the bow

I have watched the videos about the "bar catch" you have on your boat.  Did it come as standard on your boat/trailer?  . It looks like the part welded to the boat is made from plate aluminium, while the catch portion is made from stainless. Have you used this setup to retrieve in other then calm waters?  I am also curious about any wear on the eye part of the section on the boat, caused by the hook on the winch strap. I have been unable to locate anywhere that sells the moving latch assembly. It looks very simple and might be a good fit for me. I can easily fabricate an aluminium eye and catch myself to mount on my fibreglass boat, but the piece that swivels on the trailer could be a different story. 

Yep - Bar catch comes standard with the easytow trailers and bar crusher boats.

Correct the hook is a welded part to the boat - could easily be fabricated and fixed to fibreglass boat with some through hull bolts.

Yes the catch is made of stainless but if you can fabricate i don't see why you couldn't make this out of aluminium. 

Most of my launch and retrieves are calm water but i don't see the system having any issues in rough conditions (no chance of accidentally releasing.)

There is no wear on the eye part of the catch. Once you have winched tight against the winch post there is very little movement to cause wear. Most aluminium boats have this type of eye so I don't think wear will be an issue. 

If you are keen I could take some more detailed photos and measurement to help with the DIY. I think you could knock it up if you are handy and a few generic trailer spares.

2 hours ago, Hweebe said:

Yep - Bar catch comes standard with the easytow trailers and bar crusher boats.

Correct the hook is a welded part to the boat - could easily be fabricated and fixed to fibreglass boat with some through hull bolts.

Yes the catch is made of stainless but if you can fabricate i don't see why you couldn't make this out of aluminium. 

Most of my launch and retrieves are calm water but i don't see the system having any issues in rough conditions (no chance of accidentally releasing.)

There is no wear on the eye part of the catch. Once you have winched tight against the winch post there is very little movement to cause wear. Most aluminium boats have this type of eye so I don't think wear will be an issue. 

If you are keen I could take some more detailed photos and measurement to help with the DIY. I think you could knock it up if you are handy and a few generic trailer spares.

Thank you for the offer, still doing research, but I will get back to you on your offer within a week or so. Go in touch with Geoff Davis today (inventor of boat latch). Quite helpful, but really did not answer my inquiry re retrieving in waves. I am in the process tonight of building a mockup snare. The one thing I do like is that the bottom is not open. We shall carry on.