Fishing Trip To 1770 Is A Bit Of A Non Event

Ed.

The missus and I reached the 1770 Ausfish Meet and Greet and had dinner at the local tavern that evening, met a fellow Ausfisher and the three of us headed out the next morning towards Lady Musgrave Island, only managed to get about 10 Nautical miles out as the seas were nasty, the swell was a only a  couple of meters high but coming in at about 5 seconds apart, so as we started to plane we had to ease off as we would become airborne and crash in the bottom of the next trough. At one stage both my anchors nearly came out of the holders, so we tried to get some bait and failed, so trolled for an hour or so and no success, we then decided to call it quits and started to head back in at a very sedate speed as the swell picked us up and increase our speed so had to back off, then back up on the plane and back off, repeat, repeat, and repeat.

Chewed up a heap of petrol, about 50l for 24 nautical miles, at that rate we would probably have no reserve for the trip back even if we made it to the Island. Looks like the windy conditions will be with us for our entire trip so we are just doing the tourist thing and spreading our cash within the local economy, I may have even put on a few Kg's with all the coffee and cheese cake I have consumed since arriving here! Some of the local cafes have some real nice cheese cakes, did I mention I like cheese cake!

Anyway it looks like I can give up on the idea of boat fishing  until I get back home, the weather forecast is predicting the same weather for the rest of the trip. Might throw a line in off the rocks on the inside of the inlet if I can get motivated enough, not on the ocean side though which is what the pictures show. Those pics are from about 80m up.

point.jpg

cove.jpg

Went down to the beach this morning and lazed on the sand,  going off this afternoon to do a quick tour on a L.A.R.C 'cause tomorrow it is supposed to be raining. Ahh life is tough but taking one for the team. Don't know about the fishing though, haven't come across anyone who has caught anything worthwhile here so not instilling any enthusiasm or motivation.

Don't know about any crocs here, there is no reason there wouldn't be here as we are far enough north  but nobody has seen one so maybe not.

3 hours ago, Ed. said:

Went down to the beach this morning and lazed on the sand,  going off this afternoon to do a quick tour on a L.A.R.C 'cause tomorrow it is supposed to be raining. Ahh life is tough but taking one for the team. Don't know about the fishing though, haven't come across anyone who has caught anything worthwhile here so not instilling any enthusiasm or motivation.

Don't know about any crocs here, there is no reason there wouldn't be here as we are far enough north  but nobody has seen one so maybe not.

Pity about the fishing ED. But the L.A.R.C is always a bit or a lark so you should enjoy yourself. 

3 hours ago, Ed. said:

Pop into the tackle shop next to the servo. 

Sorry, I am terrible with names but he and his son may be able to help you out with some pointers on the creek...or at least what's claimed to have been caught in there lately. 

Even do a quick run up to middle creek. Nice up there.  

There's no crocs in round hill creek that I am aware of. I've heard stories but they are unsubstantiated claims imo.

I couldn't tell you how many times I've sat, swum, stood knee deep cleaning fish in that water and have never seen one....or evedence of their presence. That doesn't mean that one won't show up though. You can see the bottom in a lot of places so if one was in there people would be talking.  

I did hear of one a few years back up at middle creek. That's not far up the beach at all so anything is possible.