Brisbane River Session #72 [BLOODY MASSIVE]

AUS-BNE-FISHO

3 hours ago, ellicat said:

They're not in Qld. If they were the scientists at Fisheries would make them a 'no take' species.

Yes, that's for sure. You are sure allowed to keep Mulloway around here. Maybe they are just more heavily fished in NSW?

Breaming with bro, are your sources relatively reliable or are they just random people writing them up?

Cheers Hamish

4 hours ago, ellicat said:

They're not in Qld. If they were the scientists at Fisheries would make them a 'no take' species.

Maybe he means more fisho's are targeting them . The boys down the south coast of nsw are doing ok, same with Stockton beach, Hawesbury river , Coffs Harbour (breeding ground) Clarence river , Yamba. 

No they aren’t random people . Wiki Can be wrong some times I went to some other sources such as DPI fishing world mag . And some not so reliable randoms but all said similar things .in nsw you’re can take a max of 1 jewie a day . I think queensland is a lot better but I know a lot of spots between Kempsey and Nelson bay have very low stock on Mulloway but the numbers are starting to rise up which is good they are becoming more and more common to catch in those sort of areas now idk if this is due to stricter regulations or some of the DPI’s programs with Mulloway but it’s slowly working but they still considered a threaten speices 

31 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

No they aren’t random people . Wiki Can be wrong some times I went to some other sources such as DPI fishing world mag . And some not so reliable randoms but all said similar things .in nsw you’re can take a max of 1 jewie a day . I think queensland is a lot better but I know a lot of spots between Kempsey and Nelson bay have very low stock on Mulloway but the numbers are starting to rise up which is good they are becoming more and more common to catch in those sort of areas now idk if this is due to stricter regulations or some of the DPI’s programs with Mulloway but it’s slowly working but they still considered a threaten speices 

That's a bit weird Stockton beach isn't that far from Nelson bay when you said new south Wales I thought you must have looked up the dpi at wagga not any Jews there apart from the ones with the funny hats . Kempsey I have no idea about but I know guys in the areas I mentioned before catch them on a regular basis

58 minutes ago, Sneaky1 said:

That's a bit weird Stockton beach isn't that far from Nelson bay when you said new south Wales I thought you must have looked up the dpi at wagga not any Jews there apart from the ones with the funny hats . Kempsey I have no idea about but I know guys in the areas I mentioned before catch them on a regular basis

You can still catch them in those areas you just have to be dedicated it’s sort of like Murray cod fishing you have to be dedicated and put the effort in to catching one or a few and they are a few people around those areas that catch a fair few regularly but they definitely aren’t super common like bream or flathead like you would have to be extremely lucky to catch one when chasing another speices like flathead . Like in my river system it’s easier to catch a bull shark then a jewfish 

7 minutes ago, Breaming with bro said:

You can still catch them in those areas you just have to be dedicated it’s sort of like Murray cod fishing you have to be dedicated and put the effort in to catching one or a few and they are a few people around those areas that catch a fair few regularly but they definitely aren’t super common like bream or flathead like you would have to be extremely lucky to catch one when chasing another speices like flathead . Like in my river system it’s easier to catch a bull shark then a jewfish 

Jewfish aren't an overly common fish in the first place, so you'll always need to put in the effort to catch one. Bull Sharks are easy to catch compared to a Jewfish. So basically, my point is just because they are rarer than usual they aren't threatened. I do acknowledge why the bag limit was dropped though so I can see your point.

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Jewfish aren't an overly common fish in the first place, so you'll always need to put in the effort to catch one. Bull Sharks are easy to catch compared to a Jewfish. So basically, my point is just because they are rarer than usual they aren't threatened. I do acknowledge why the bag limit was dropped though so I can see your point.

Cheers Hamish

Yeah I know that but everywhere I’ve looked they are considered a threatened speices though 

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Sorry to bump up an old thread. Eating my Thready has been great, and it's really tasted wonderful.

We had slight hiccup tonight - after 5 weeks or so of being frozen the next batch was mushy and tasted of mud. The difference was, this one had the skin on.

So I bid the question, is my Thready going off and have I wasted it??? Or is it just due to the skin (which I assume) giving it the muddy taste?

Any advice would be much appreciated. If it's gone off, I'll feel even worse than I did keeping it!

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/02/2021 at 6:19 PM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

Hi all

Sorry to bump up an old thread. Eating my Thready has been great, and it's really tasted wonderful.

We had slight hiccup tonight - after 5 weeks or so of being frozen the next batch was mushy and tasted of mud. The difference was, this one had the skin on.

So I bid the question, is my Thready going off and have I wasted it??? Or is it just due to the skin (which I assume) giving it the muddy taste?

Any advice would be much appreciated. If it's gone off, I'll feel even worse than I did keeping it!

Cheers Hamish 🙂 

Brief update. Apologies, just realised this now (that I'd left the thread hanging).

I skinned the next bit and it tasted fine. I think freezing with skin/cooking with skin is what gives it a muddy taste.

Cheers Hamish

22 hours ago, shaun1800 said:

Great write up mate. Don't think I've ever seen so much dedication to getting a fish up and swimming again. Top commitment from your dad to jump in that water too, I certainly wouldn't do it after catching a few of those demon eel pike! Great stuff. 

Thanks Shaun. Glad you enjoyed.

Those creatures (Eel Pike) are the equivalent of a demon in the water. Haha. Last one I encountered ended up in my freezer...

Cheers Hamish