Member Poll - Possible AFO Competitions

AUS-BNE-FISHO

Different Competition  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What fishing competition, held on AFO, would you prefer?

• Would you prefer a Summer Fishing Classic, and a Winter Fishing Classic?
    • Would you prefer a River Classic?
    • Other?

Hi all

Going on from the last thread, I've just made this to get more opinions. It seems there's been two different types we could narrow it down too - a 'Summer and Winter Fishing Classic', which would host a wide range of target species which bite better in those seasons, i.e. Mackerel in Summer, and Snapper (not on closed season) in Winter. 

The other option could be a general 'River Classic', for anyone who just wants to fish estuaries. Keep in mind the Summer and Winter comp would include estuary fishing (and all types of fishing).

Please vote 🙂 

Cheers Hamish

(Last thread)

Hi all

OK, it seems the preferred comp is the Summer and Winter Fishing Classic.

I reckon the Winter Fishing Classic should happen in July. Why? There's still two weeks to target snappers and then another two weeks for other fish. I think it should be held in Winter, not in another month. Any objections?

The target species could be - 

Snapper - 

Mulloway (Jewfish) - 

Bream (all species) - 

Groupers and Cods -

Grass Emperor - 

Cobia - 

Flathead - 

Whiting - 

Yellowtail Kingfish - 

Miscellaneous - 

OK, so I'll justify the fish species. Snapper are on there because it is around the time they breed, Mulloway are on there because I've heard they bite around this time. Bream breed in Winter so hopefully there will be some bigger ones. Groupers and Cod are on there to make sure people who are down south have something to catch. Grass Emperor - well I just selected that at random (if this should be replaced please say). Cobia, as they are supposed to bite better in Winter. Flathead, and Whiting - simply because they are generic species and most people can target them. Yellowtail Kingfish - this can be replaced too... And the 'Miscellaneous' category can be anything from a Marlin to King Salmon 🙂

If there are any objections to this please let me know. I don't know if this will be preferred but if anyone likes or dislikes it I guess we can decide below.

Cheers Hamish

1 hour ago, ellicat said:

You've done well there, mate. I think we need to include some freshwater species in the categories. Maybe at the expense of kingfish and cobia (that could both be a miscellaneous catch) ?? Otherwise I think we have a good starting platform to work with.

Thanks Brian. I did not put Aussie Bass in as it is closed season in some states (including the best one 😉).

Trout and Yellowbelly perhaps?

Cheers Hamish

3 hours ago, Angry51 said:

No, a hand is 4 inches and a foot

is 12 inches.😉

Poppyseed
14 or 15 of a barleycorn[7]
Line
14 of a barleycorn[8]
Barleycorn
13 of an inch, the notional base unit under the Composition of Yards and Perches.
Digit
34 inch
Finger
78 inch
Inch
3 barleycorns (the historical legal definition)
Nail
3 digits = 2+14 inches = 116 yard
Palm
3 inches
Hand
4 inches
Shaftment
Width of the hand and outstretched thumb, 6+12 inches before 1066, 6 thereafter
Link
7.92 inches or one 100th of a chain.[9]
Span
Width of the outstretched hand, from the tip of the thumb to the tip of the little finger, 3 palms = 9 inches.
Foot
Prior to the Anglo-Saxon invasions, the Roman foot of 11.65 inches (296 mm) was used. The Anglo-Saxons introduced a North-German foot of 13.2 inches (335 mm), divided into 4 palms or 12 thumbs, while the Roman foot continued to be used in the construction crafts. In the late 13th century, the modern foot of 304.8 mm was introduced, equal to exactly 1011 Anglo-Saxon foot.
Cubit
From fingertips to elbow, 18 inches.
Yard (= Ulna)
3 feet = 36 inches, the practical base unit as the length of the prototype bar held by the Crown or Exchequer.
Ell
From fingertip of outstretched arm to opposite shoulder, 20 nails = 1+14 yard or 45 inches. Mostly for measuring cloth.
Fathom
Distance between arms outstretched, from fingertip to fingertip, equalling 6 feet.
Rod (= perch) (= pole)
Used for surveying land and in architecture. The rod is the same length today as in Anglo-Saxon times, although its composition in terms of feet were changed by the Composition of Yards and Perches from 15 feet to 16+12. The pole is commonly used as a measurement for Allotment Gardens. (See also perch as an area and a volume unit.)
Chain
four linear rods. Named after the length of surveyor's chain used to measure distances until quite recently. Any of several actual chains used for land surveying and divided in links. Gunter's chain, introduced in the 17th century, is 66 feet.
Furlong (= stade)
Notionally the distance a plough team could furrow without rest, but actually a measure of 40 rods or 600 feet prior to the Composition of Yards and Perches and 40 rods or 660 feet afterwards.
Mile
Originally the Roman mile alternatively reckoned as 5000 feet, 1000 paces, or 8 stades but adjusted to 5280 feet in 1593 to account for the differences introduced to these methods of reckoning by the Composition of Yards and Perches.
League
Notionally an hour's travel, but usually reckoned as three miles. Approximate length of the traditional "mile" in German and Scandinavian countries.