overhead rods

Samj

I have a 13" Saratoga  Predator Surf overhead rod LS1320H 10-15kg 85-225Gm rating,  (from E-Bay). Penn have a PENN Prevail II 1002OHXH Overhead Rock Rod. Generally there is not much demand for long overhead rods so you will have a hard time locating one as most stores will not stock them due to that reason, mostly they will carry the spinning or Alvey compatible type rods in that length.

You could get a rod builder to custom make you one, but it will be expensive.

On 13/03/2022 at 8:05 AM, AUS-BNE-FISHO said:

May I ask what you use a 12 foot overhead for? I always thought overheads were designed for casting accurately opposed to long distance?

Cheers Hamish 

I can only speak for myself here, but some of us prefer to use an overhead reel rather than a spinning reel or Alvey type, so if you are fishing from a surf beach, you need the length to keep the line out of the waves as much as possible and get more distance, when fishing off the rocks or ledges the extra length gives you more control when bringing up the fish and keeping the line clear away from the rocks at the base.

On my setup I use an Okuma Solterra SLR-10CS reel, which is one of the few Magnetic Cast control lever drag overhead reels. It was also available in a 15 size when they came out, the newest SLX Solterras don't have the magnetic cast control feature but do have thrust bearings.

I rarely use this setup but it is nice to have one if I choose to fish the surf beaches or rocks.