Lure Scents - cost effective way of avoiding stink fingers!

turdle

Thanks for sharing 

1 hour ago, turdle said:

After getting to the end of my last tube of Squidgies S Factor, and suffering a leak due to the tube cracking open and covering nearly everything in my tackle bag, I realised there has to be a better option. 

Wish list:

• Leak free container
  • one handed operation and application (sick of holding the tube cap in my mouth while applying, occasionally dropping it in the water and having to chase it down)
  • no need to smudge/smush scent with fingers
  • cost effective
  • small enough to fit in pocket

I ordered a 8oz (~240ml) container of Pro-Cure Shrimp Super Gel from Amazon (~$39), and a 40ml silicone travel bottle from eBay (~$15 for 4). 

Filled up one of the bottles with the Shrimp Gel and went down to Fingal this week. The gel scent is like tomato sauce in consistency, but very sticky. Applying it to the lure was super easy, quick, and can be done one handed. The nozzle extends when squeezing so you can easily and accurately apply along the back of the plastic lure, and retracts into the bottle when pressure is released, keeping the lid clean. This flavour of scent is red in colour and would still be visible for around 15-20 casts before needing another squirt. 

I didn't have any other scent to compare it to, but this stuff worked a treat! I'd cast a new plastic a dozen times, then add scent and then get hits/hook up within a couple of casts.

Fished off the Fingal head rocks, and tweed south wall and caught a handful of good size Dart, dozens of 30+cm Bream, a few trevally (big eye and baby GT's), a moses perch, couple of tailor, butter bream, and 2 eye balls (must have been a few unlucky tailor inspecting the lure too closely). All but 2 fish released. Majority of the fish were caught on 2.5inch BaitJunkie Minnow's in Whitebait/Pink Glow, the rest on a mix of 10-15g metal slugs, 65mm Squidgy's, and a small soft vibe. 

The fishing was so good that the plastics didn't even need to be worked to attract the fish. I'd add some scent, cast, wait 5-10 seconds then get a hit or hook up almost every cast. Even when half the plastic was chomped off, I'd cast the remnants and still hook fish somehow. At the end of the day I tried half a 2.5 baitjunkie (no tail), and landed 7 more fish before the plastic fell off the hook.

A successful trip, plenty of action, and no stinky fingers!

Thanks for sharing the great tips and i am sure you will catch more fish!

I am new to lure fishing so i wonder if the scent gel is a must have for flicking lures on the beach? 

Adding to what hamish commented,

There's these products call 'stink fingers' that are sort of this plastic case with foam inside.

For them to work as advertised, you need to get this really liquidy looking scent which is made from pro-cure (i think).

Considering what you've done, your method is much more cost effective and clever way to scent your lures.

Personally, the stink finger things are a waste of money: they are $40 just for this case of plastic and foam (no scent included!).

https://www.stinkfinger.com.au/product/stink-finger/