10000 or 8000 size reel

Hi, i've been thinking of getting a heavy spin reel and rod have i have saved up quite a bit from working and have both a light and medium rod and reel, i have been looking at the Shimano Saragosa SW A 8000 HG Spin Reel and the Shimano Stradic SW 10000HG Spinning Reel, both have good reviews and are a decent price.  They would be used for tuna, jigging and other types of fishing like that, i would just like to know what rod i should pair it with and if the 10000 is a bit overkill for out in Moreton bay and the surrounding areas.  All comments welcome.

Cheers Daniel

5 minutes ago, christophagus said:

id imagine you mean at casting at tuna? not trolling or anything like that

i would think an 8000 would be more than sufficient. having said that, ive never chased the likes of big kings in the bay. i think the smaller reel would allow for more uses.

Yes casting for tuna, thanks for the advice, ill have a look at rods to match.

I think you'd get away with an even smaller reel - 6000 - for most pelagic things Moreton Bay has to offer. An 8 or 10 thousand would hold an awful lot of line. The only advantage to that size would be the drag weight if chasing big fish like Chris said - Kings and Cobia. If that's your target then you would also need a beefy rod to match. Maybe @Cobiaaddict would be able to comment ??

Look at the actual size of the reels imo. 

If shimano are like diawa and have say 8000, 10 000 and 14 000 size reels with the same sized body then get the biggest one. It's a no brainer. 

They're all the same size reel physically, just a different spool capacity. 

If they're all different then go with what the others here are suggesting. 

Rods. 

I recommend a Diawa Spartan or one of the Nomad designs. 

They're expensive though. 

Personally I think for reasonable sized mackerel and such, you would probably want to have at least 300+ meters of whatever line class you use, if using mono line, then the bigger size would be better, if using braid plus mono topshot, then the 8000-14000 size should have you covered, however flicking lures/jigs on a larger sized/heavier reel will wear you down quicker after a while, also depends on your physical build too.

I knew a guy up at Dampier/Karattha (W.A) who used to target 20-30kg mackerel using 4-6kg line on smallish Shimano Calcutter 400's, to me that would be  a lot of work chasing them and not my cup of tea if you know what I mean, I would prefer to apply a bit of brute force and get them to the boat quicker to beat the sharks, and they release better too, light tackle knackers them too much so when you finally release them they are more vulnerable to sharks if they already didn't get chewed up.  So if I was you, I would go to a shop and get the guys to put a reel on a rod to see how it feels in your hand, it would give you an idea on how it would cast and also if it would wear you out quickly or not.

In the Saragosa range, there doesn't seem to be that much difference from what I can tell between the 8000 and 14000 size. About 35gm from lightest to heaviest and obviously more line capacity in the larger sizes. I have never used the Saragosa's so can't tell you anything about them. I did buy a Penn SSV6500LL from a guy from Cooktown and he caught heaps of Mackerel up there in the 20-30kg range on it from a boat, and that reel fits between the 8000 and 10000 size Saragosa's.

This is just my opinion.

Cheers

Ed.

222053227_ShimanoSaragosaReels.thumb.jpg.7923bb13e52fe8342a8c65a8c41ce427.jpg