Land based in Sydney

Ittybiddyfish

Hey all, I'm from the us and looking for some direction fo an upcoming trip to Au. Will be in Sydney next month and trying to get a feel for options to wet a line. I fish for just about anything over here and will be excited by anything new, from what I've been seeing it looks like most of the it is rock fishing. Not expecting any spot burning but any help on accessible spots in and around sydney would be awesome. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum mate.

I'm from Nth Queensland so can't help with fishing around Sydney.

Should be some Sydneysiders come on shortly or at least some one whose been

fishing in that area that could help you out.

Been very wet down in NSW these last few months so wouldn't think the rivers

would be much good, beach/rock should be OK.

Enjoy your visit and hope you do alright, post your results on here to show us.

Good luck.

Hi @Ittybiddyfish

There are lots of fishing options in the Sydney Harbour off any access points but in particular wharfs, at some of these people fish for pelagic fish like bonito or big things like yellowtail kingfish or jewfish. You'll need a pretty heavy setup to do this, and when I went fishing there, float rigs were used or some with a running sinker. Alternatively, fishing lighter with small soft plastics or bait should see you get some general estuarine species like bream and flathead. There's lots of youtube videos about fishing at Sydney, google 'Shroom' for a start for some spots and techniques.

Welcome to the forum, 

Cheers Hamish

A lot will depend on where abouts in Sydney you will be, will you have a car or use public transport ect? 

There's beach fishing, rock fishing, rock wall and other man made structure fishing, river fishing ect. 

It has a lot of variety, although unfortunately when I lived there I mostly did boat based fishing. 

There are a few "famous" spots you could try, especially for jew fish.