Beginner tutorial videos

Acoustix

Hi all,

I have a mad keen fishing son but I don't have much in the way of knowledge or experience myself. Have gotten hold of a few good books, but wondering if anyone can recommend any good fishing tutorial videos - looking to target fish around Canberra (cod, trout, yellowbellies) in rivers and lakes.

Have seen online the "Social Fishing" Complete Guide DVDs, and don't mind paying a little bit upfront for good content and to invest in a new hobby, but wanted to know if anyone has seen them and would recommend them (or any other similar content)?

Cheers

Thanks @Bretto77 and @ellicat - much appreciated, will definitely check out those videos.

We've managed to get some good advice on lures and bait at fishing shops, so will try out the various options, but I think what I'd like to get some advice on is how to fish from the shores of rivers - we're happy to do a bit of walking, but particularly what to look for in a good fishing spot - e.g. flowing water (is fast flowing/slow flowing/still better?), upstream/downstream?, how weather and water clarity affects things (does wind/choppy water affect things? Sediment? Bright sunshine?), structures (pools, rocks, trees?).

Sorry, a bit of a grab-bag - but various bits and pieces of heard might be factors, but not sure how to put them all together!

Cheers

Ben

16 minutes ago, Acoustix said:

We've managed to get some good advice on lures and bait at fishing shops, so will try out the various options, but I think what I'd like to get some advice on is how to fish from the shores of rivers - we're happy to do a bit of walking, but particularly what to look for in a good fishing spot - e.g. flowing water (is fast flowing/slow flowing/still better?), upstream/downstream?, how weather and water clarity affects things (does wind/choppy water affect things? Sediment? Bright sunshine?), structures (pools, rocks, trees?).

Try and look for a pool below some fast flowing water or a calmer section of the river where the fish can sit and 'ambush' their prey without using too much energy. You normally want to be around some sort of structure as well, like some rocks or submerged trees. I always like overcast days for fishing but I've never noticed a massive difference between how fish bite on overcast or sunny days in the salt, maybe it would be slightly different in freshwater. 

Everyone is always learning😉 And nothing is ever guaranteed.. I can't help much with that sort of fishing in that area, but getting out and trying is going to give you your own personal experience. At times I have heard people refer to fishing as more of a practiced art than a science. But there's plenty of info particular to the species and area you are interested in amongst the reports/ videos of the member I mentioned earlier. Sounds like scope for quality time with your son regardless 👍

@FishingCrazy recently posted this thread with a good video of how to cast at structure in a river/creek. He's in a kayak, but the same principles apply.

Apart from casting at structure, you should aim your cast at structure on the shady side. Cod seem to prefer the cover of structure and shade.

If working a lure, casting upstream and working the lure back to you is the go, as the fish will sit with their nose pointing into the current.

Water clarity doesn't seem to affect cod or yellowbelly - just look at some of the Victorian Rivers where they catch the big monsters - just about all murky.

Hi @Acoustix , Most of the lakes around Canberra have decent weed beds around them. These can be a great place to find fish hunting for food, but you can get fouled by the weed. Using bait this is likely less of a concern, but with lures it can be a pain. I found that I have much more success form my kayak as I can target the outside edge  and either cast or troll along. I mainly fish Lake Ginninderra up in the north. Lake Burley Griffin is pretty good from the bank as you have a lot of areas with deep water right near the edge where the old river flows. Some of the banks are pretty steep though, but there can be good snags in those deep sections which will hold cod or Yellowbelly. I'm keen to get my kayak out there at some stage to try and pick up something decent.

The lakes can be pretty fickle at times around Canberra, depending on how stirred up they are by the rain and cold weather can shut down the fishing pretty quickly. That being said, apparently you get some cracking cod during the winter, it may just take alot of work.

As Bretto77 said, @KhalidMSyed has some great videos of the Molonglo River near Uriarra crossing that would be good places to try.

I bought the AFN Fishing Atlas for Canberra, which is written by Andrew McGovern, who has fished this area for a long time and it gives you a great run down of the lakes around Canberra and a decent outline of spots on the Murrumbidgee.