beach fishing at Bribie?

millerjo

Hi guys, i am thinking about buying a beach rod and reel to try my luck at some beach fishing. Bribie island would be the closest beach and i wondered if any of you have had experience fishing in that area?

I was looking at a one piece? with an alvey reel?

Is this the best gear? and what size line would you suggest?

Thanks Josh

;)

If you have experience with Alveys, then they are a good option. I prefer the direct wind models (no drag), but that is a personal thing.

Larger threadline and even some casting overheads play a part in beach fishing as well, but mostly down south.

The big plus with Alveys is the maintainance and longevity.

Alveys have so few working parts and are easy to clean. Compared to similar $ for a spinner, they are good value.

min size for 10 foot rod is a 500b, 12 foot noramlly 600 or 650 size.

1 piece v 2 piece debate will rage on forever more, for me it is a question of practicality, and the 2 piece is my only real option. Modern two piece rods are better than their aged cousins, but still lack a little feel in some instances verse the one piece.

Length wise, 12 foot would be a minimum if you are fishing the breakers, 10 foot-12 foot if you are fishing the inshore gutters seems a popular choice. Match the line class to your target species and casting weight.

I reckon there are not too many places on bribie that don't hold at least some fish, but I would walk the surf beach looking for some nice deep gutters armed with yabbies/worms/pippies/pillies.

Also don't be tempted to overlook the water close in, you will often spook good fish wading in the shallows looking for the big cast!

Good luck

Rocket

It all come's down to what you will be chasing?? For me birbie = tuna LT's, mack, Queenie... If this what u want to chase forget Alveys.. Yes they can do the job but tend to be too slow on the retive.. Spin do it better, A high speed spin are liter & faster, I.E something a emcast sports/pro.. rods I use a Wasp 13'6"... 20lb braid and 15g to 85g slugs aswell as Sp's.. 1 of the keys thing is westerly,,, bring them in close to the beach to feed on the bait fish..

Hope this helps

Noel

Cando wrote:

It all come's down to what you will be chasing?? For me birbie = tuna LT's, mack, Queenie... If this what u want to chase forget Alveys.. Yes the can do they job but tend to be too slow on the retive.. Spin do it better, A high speed spin are liter & faster, I.E something a emcast sports/pro.. rods I use a Wasp 13'6"... 20lb braid and 15g to 85g slugs aswell as Sp's.. 1 of the keys thing is westerly,,, bring them in close to the beach to feed on the bait fish..

Hope this helps

Noel

Just wondering are you talking about getting onto those fish landbased? if so that's friggin awesome!!

Dan23 wrote:

Cando wrote:
It all come's down to what you will be chasing?? For me birbie = tuna LT's, mack, Queenie... If this what u want to chase forget Alveys.. Yes the can do they job but tend to be too slow on the retive.. Spin do it better, A high speed spin are liter & faster, I.E something a emcast sports/pro.. rods I use a Wasp 13'6"... 20lb braid and 15g to 85g slugs aswell as Sp's.. 1 of the keys thing is westerly,,, bring them in close to the beach to feed on the bait fish..

Hope this helps

Noel

Just wondering are you talking about getting onto those fish landbased? if so that's friggin awesome!!

Yep land based... with a 4x4 :blush: on the surf side.. red beach is good as well but too much walking for me lol

yeh that would be sweat, Cando I think you were telling me about that fishing down coochin one day?? would be cool. I have seent he LT come in close enough lots of times when out in the yak.

Lee

Yep that was me mate;)

Cando wrote:

pcsolutionman wrote:
hey Noel got any pics of some of those LT's ???

Lee

this 1 went 14kg's and they are great eating to;) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/fishingbribie.jpg

That awesome. I didn't know you could get onto those sort of fish around here landbased let alone off the beach:cheer:

I figured that sort of action you'd have to go to the NSW mid coast and treck over rocks to some steep ledges.

fishyman wrote:

nice fish mate

no it's a cheap shimano,,, lasted 1 trip... That rod and reel was my backup gear... lol

I run emcast sport 6000 on all my surf gear now..

with the weather I will not be hiting the beach for some time now.... late may at a guess...

Unless we get 3 or 4 days of westerlys;)

Dan23 wrote:

Cando wrote:
pcsolutionman wrote:

Lee

this 1 went 14kg's and they are great eating to;) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/fishingbribie.jpg

That awesome. I didn't know you could get onto those sort of fish around here landbased let alone off the beach:cheer:

I figured that sort of action you'd have to go to the NSW mid coast and treck over rocks to some steep ledges.

Dan ,,, we get LT's Queenie's, even cob's when the bait fish are in... and it's not just bribie,, rainbow so on..

Lt's have 3 good runs in winter on birbie, but they are they most of the time just have to have the weather to bring them on and close enough to get them..;)

Cando wrote:

Dan23 wrote:
Cando wrote:
pcsolutionman wrote:

Lee

Dan ,,, we get LT's Queenie's, even cob's when the bait fish are in... and it's not just bribie,, rainbow so on..

Lt's have 3 good runs in winter on birbie, but they are there most of the time just have to have the weather to bring them on and close enough to get them..;)

Those pictures have got me very excited! i might head up to Bribie tonight if the wind drops a little. I havent had a chance to get a new rod so i might use my current setup, 8ft ugly stick with a decent qualty penn reel, it probley won't cast far enough but i will see how i go.

Ill probley take the 4wd on the beach, is it in reasonable condition?

Thanks Josh

Dan23 wrote:

What sort of casting distance would you be looking at? 100M?

My avg cast is 80 to 90m and say 1 in 5 cast are 120 ish.. But some times they are in real close,, and 30m will do the trick.. I have been hit hard 10m from the beach.. A then there are times where they hang out at the 150m mark just to piss you off lol..

Josh

Mate very unlikely for any big stuff around,, wrong winds lately,, and at a guess to much fresh.. Try up at 4 th loogon (spelling) :blush:

A good bit of coffee rock there at low tide.. Great place for good Flatie and bream!

I don't no what the beach is like at the momment.. At a guess the loogons have broken out...

Noel

The Lagoons are still off limits yeah?

My grand father has some amazing pictures from when you could fish the. Regular meter + flatties, bags on 40cm whiting and so on. However i guess its thanks to the kill and grill generations that they were closed!

Someone told me only teh pros could fish it and I found that the stupidist thing i have ever heard.

Angus

Angus wrote:

The Lagoons are still off limits yeah?

My grand father has some amazing pictures from when you could fish the. Regular meter + flatties, bags on 40cm whiting and so on. However i guess its thanks to the kill and grill generations that they were closed!

Someone told me only teh pros could fish it and I found that the stupidist thing i have ever heard.

Angus

As far as i know you can fish the Lagoons ... I do and have been told by park & wildlife you can fish and crab in them.... Mate there are some big winting, bream, dart, flatie and jacks in them... Second would be good for you yakers ;)

Archived