Electric Motor

Malcolm

My wife just rang fom Kmart 20% of all fishing including elictric motors.

So she is bringing home a 54lb Watersnake and charger and Shortie is giving me a battery,thanks Shortie so I can whack it on my tinnie for the dams that don't alow 2 strokes.

Look out Bass here I come:woohoo:

shortie wrote:

ellicat wrote:
A few of your reports lately would suggest that with you having an electric there'll be a few scared bass around.:woohoo:

When ya still cant catch them on you rod now mal. Try jumperleads from the battery into the water. They might just float to the top.:laugh:

you better get me another 45 batteries:)

sounds good mal...check all the bolts for tension and treat the collar that determines the depth you run it out with care....and keep the lanolin spray up to it...they corrode big time.... im painting one at the moment and have taken pics so will post them when we have it back together...

Maxi

Feral wrote:

My Watersnake is lasting well, but I've only use it in fresh so far!

The old models are good value, but I would not buy the new models, they are about the same price as a 'kota, I'd definately buy the 'kota if I was shelling out that much!

I would..... I have had 1 die on me but for what it copped I don't blam it... lol... mates of mine have kota's and they have had more problem than me.

yep they do get rust stains thats for shore.... rust didn't stop my watersanke, dropping down at 25 knots did the damage :blush:

Malcolm wrote:

Thanks for tips Maxi

Feral I paid $320 for a 54lb which I think is OK and I'll be using it in the salt for trolling as well so we will see how it is 12 months

Good stuff, no doubt one of the old models, and a good price! (The old models the handle clicks and has notches as you turn it, and regular price is around $380 -400. The new ones are totally variable speed and are $600 plus!)

Yeah Maxi, housing was aluminium. It was only a 34 transom though.

It was definately aluminium, there was a fair bit of the housing coroded away. In the case of thi smotor though there was actually a hole in the shaft, and water had down inside the housing and thats what had caused the corrosion. [img size=413]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/P1100005.jpg

post-134-144598444474_thumb.jpg

To be honest - dunno! if you look at the photo you can see it had a second coil mounted up inside. If it has magnets they are under the coil.

When I pulled it all out, it came out in one big lump of corrosion. Only kept the blade and nut and power controller and shaft, chucked all the guts / motor.

Malcolm wrote:

My wife just rang fom Kmart 20% of all fishing including elictric motors.

So she is bringing home a 54lb Watersnake and charger and Shortie is giving me a battery,thanks Shortie so I can whack it on my tinnie for the dams that don't alow 2 strokes.

Look out Bass here I come:woohoo:

Mal, Have you got it on yet ? Any pics ?

Having fun with it ?

• 1 month later...

maxi wrote:

sounds good mal...check all the bolts for tension and treat the collar that determines the depth you run it out with care....and keep the lanolin spray up to it...they corrode big time.... im painting one at the moment and have taken pics so will post them when we have it back together...

Maxi

Hey Maxi

I Didn't take enough notice about the collar and it has scrathed the top coat of in places.I have only used it in fresh so far with no sign of corrosion,do you think I should attemp to recoat it with something or will it just keep happening?hows the one you did up going?

Mal

the shaft on the watersnake duskys got is fibre glass or a another fibre substance of some sort mate. we didntn recoat the shart on the refurb at all... its worn to buggery anyway ;.. will just keep happening no matter what paint is on it.. no big deal in my books but for cosmetic detail.. :laugh:

hey

I have been given an opportunity to buy a riptide 42 transom mount for a steal, but don't know if it will suit. I have a 4.2 tinny, will it push it?

where to mount it? will it fit next to motor on transom or do I need to make a mount. Anyone got pics of transom mounted electric motor as well as normal motor? I know it is used but still in good nick so don't really want to miss out.

cheers burko

Burko wrote:

hey

I have been given an opportunity to buy a riptide 42 transom mount for a steal, but don't know if it will suit. I have a 4.2 tinny, will it push it?

where to mount it? will it fit next to motor on transom or do I need to make a mount. Anyone got pics of transom mounted electric motor as well as normal motor? I know it is used but still in good nick so don't really want to miss out.

cheers burko

no rocket sience needed, measure the thickness of the transom and check it to how far the clamp opens on the leccy, also the legs are pretty long on those things so shouldnt have any dramas, 42lb should work no worries IMO.

Archived