Radio Blurb

Brian D

OK, don't get all hairy about this but I have been asked to write a short fishing blurb for community radio. Why me? I suppose because whenever I talk to someone it's about fishing or boats, not because I am clever or talented. Anyway, all I do is have a look at a few posts on a few sites, talk to the people at the boat ramp and marina then put the dribble together. Here's my 1st blurb, what you think?

It's fare to say fishing conditions have sucked over the summer but the dedicated fishos have been doing well because they brave the elements and work with the conditions.

Hinze Dam is by far the pick this week, while the Toga's have been hiding; it's not uncommon to pick up scores of 15 bass or more in a 3 hour session. Trolling the middle third of the water column with deep or sinking lures and spinner bait seams to be the most productive method but any surface catches have been hard work, which explains the missing Toga's.

The rivers and creeks are still slow due to all the rain and low levels of salt but they are offering shelter from the wind and worth dropping pots for the late season muddies, just watch out for floating submerged objects washed loose by the floods. There are some big chunkies sitting just below the surface and the brown water makes them hard to see.

The Logan River is giving up plenty of prawns if you know how to throw a cast net from a tinny. These prawns are great live bait in the seaway, and are your best chance to boat a school Jew or trevally and if you’re really lucky a nice late season mangrove jack. Just make sure you keep the weight as light as possible and hook the prawn through the tail so they stay alive and kick around attracting the better fish.

Around the islands in Moreton Bay have offered some impressive catches of Squire, only average size but the bigger ones won’t be far away now especially with the fresh water pushing out, stimulating the food chain.

Outside at the shelf there are some nice Marlin hook ups with some blues to about 600lb but the 400lb models are a little more common, that is if you’re lucky enough to have a day of work, a break in the weather and a craft at your disposal all at the same time. Tuna are thin and Wahoo and mackerel are very rare catches.

For the family, if you want a nice picnic day out, head for Lake Baroon up at Montville. It’s one of the prettiest dams in SE Qld. There you can have a BBQ, doing some soft exploring, let the kids have a run and wet a line from the bank while you’re sitting in a deck chair checking out how lucky we are to live where we do.

For the hardcore, grab your cast net head up the Logan, pick up a bucket of prawns and head back to the seaway. If you don’t catch anything you can always eat the prawns but you should do well.

There will be no web site or superstar status, thanks anyway. And Ray, I'm not a Nugget - more like a fat barrel. :woohoo:

Your right Biggles, I get the yaks in soon, while I'm at it, I was gonna say if anyone has anything they would like to ad just say so.

Archived