Couran Pt Tournament

Smithy

Seeing as hookups had to be called in it sounded like there was a bit going on and I guessed maybe up to 12 Marlin were tagged on the Saturday as it seemed like 3-4 per sked but it ended up being 7 Blues and 1 Spearfish for the 35/36 odd boats fishing it. Lots of rubber hooks syndrome. Yvonne (ex Ocean Blue) the towered 40' Black Watch had their chances going 0 from 3 on Blues. I think Game On the 47' Riv (ex Soul Mate from Redcliffe) saw 3 as well. They dropped one early, got one straight away after (think it might have been the first of the tournament but certainly the boat first since Mark bought it) for angler Doug's first, tagged a Mahi Mahi around 27kg and then saw another Blue late in the day. Onboard the 33' Obrien Nauti Suzanne that I was fishing on we had a double of Mahi Mahi on as soon as we had set the gear tagging one to Bruce around 10-12kg. The one that jumped off was smaller. Once we got out to the north end of the Riv grounds we were on pretty early at the same time and place as Ocean Dream. I was on strike and it turned out to be a 90-100kg Blue which we tagged in about 20-25mins on stand up 37kg. It was just before the 9:30 sked I think. Pink/blue/silver Topgun Nightmare at short rigger, twin shackle rig 7691S hooks. Tim was driving and his first time on twin screw diesels and he did real well. Bruce who usually skippers his own cat trailerboats (5.2KC Shikaree his old boat, 7.5m Sailfish Enticer his new one) tagged his first ever Marlin as if he wasn't skipper he has been angler. We hooked up a short time later to another Blue just SW of Jims. This one picked up the Lumo Medium Sprocket at long rigger and jumped 3 times down through the middle of the pattern before dropping it or it was only lassoed to begin with. That fish bit at about 11:30 just before the predicted bite time of 12:00. About 11:45 Yvonne and Mistress II were hooked up in the same area as us with Barry Alty's Mistress the only other boat in the area right on top of Jims. Before long everyone was there. Didn't help but. The wind jacked up a bit more so we started trolling in about then after a bit of lunch. Us and Black Bart set a similar course. Half an hour or an hour into that troll Bart hooked up a bit inside and a bit north of us. Jason "Stooge" Rhodes was in the chair. It gave them a bit of a battle being hooked in the tail. It came up pretty stuffed but after towing it along on a billrope for half an hour or so it got pretty frisky again and they let it go in good nick. We played around on the 150m line and pulled the pin at the last sked time.

Sunday was rough. We headed out to the 100m line before turning around and came straight in without putting in any gear as we were sitting 2nd and were prepared to give it a shot even though we knew what we were getting ourselves into. It only got worse from there. The strong wind warning was issued by the BOM at 10:30. Caterin the Trailcraft trailer boat was in the lead with a Blue tagged on 24kg for more points from the Saturday. The stong wind warning was only broadcast at 11:15 with Game On allready hooked up to a Blue with Chad in the chair and Wayne Thomson's 5.2KC Kitty Cat hooked up to a light tackle Black on 8kg. Kitty Cat got theirs about 2mins after cease fishing was called and Game On 10-15mins after. Confusion reigned supreme on the dock. Were they going to knock back both fish based on what they had said on the Saturday night that once the strong wind warning was called, that was it hooked up or not, were they going to count both fish and at one stage it sounded like they were going to count the Black but not the Blue. That caused a lot of confusion. Anyway Game On ended up taking it out with the two Blues and a Mahi Mahi. Kitty Cat got Light Tackle. Reel Magic the 40' Black Watch got other species with some impressive other fish like an 18kg Yellowfin on 8kg line etc. I am sure others will ad more. The Caterin angler got angler but they didn't buy themselves in the calcutta and I think Eric from the 52' Steber Ocean Dream bought them so he was in the mood to party and Deano the music man for the weekend was awesome as were Nathan and his staff that did the bar as well as the chefs.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived