Brett's Wharf/Portside Tuesday September 26

blue_mako

Hey Guys.

Since I'm trying to set a personal record which is to fish everyday these school holidays I decided to head down to Bretts Wharf and walk along the river foot path which leads to Portside. It was raining earlier today where I am so I put the day off a little to wait for the rain to settle and hoped it didn't effect the fishing.

I started at the private pontoon which usually has a big boat on it but not today, anyway. Started on the sandy bechy part and had a few casts. I was using 4lb mono right through today and a small Juro 40mm hardbody which I won at the A.B.T. I still hadn't caught anything on it and since it was the only hardbody I had small enough for a Bream to nail I decided to use it and see how it goes. Mainly because I've been having some good luck on hardbodied lures lately and am slowly converting from soft plastics.

Had a few casts for no result. Walked up were it was a bit rockier and had a few more casts about my 10th cast of the day my line creeps anyway on the pause. I couldn't really notice since the wind was putting some decent belly in my line so I began retrieving the lure and felt some weight. Bang! Set the hook and towards the mouth he went. After a solid 10 or so second fight the line goes loose. :angry: grrrr. I was acctually very surprised I had a strike so early but was worrying that I lost my only chance for the day.

Egar to get another one I kept casting in the same area. I casted the lure out so it was just floating on the surface and I all most slip over on the rocks. I regather my footing and looked up to find my lure but couldnt pinpoint where it was floating. About 2 seconds later I see a fish hit the surface. Oh there's my lure :P . Right in the mouth of an 8 or so cm Bream! I pull him up and take a pic and throw him back.

Stayed there for another hour or so for just 1 more 20cm Bream before walking up towards Portside. So far I had 2 landed and 1 dropped fish all ready in the bag and I was happy without another for the rest of the day.

I reached the secret spot where good pylons have been submerged due to construction. I cast right up against the pylons and retrieve the lure slowly. First cast I think to myself, 'Was that a touch?' then bang! I see a silver flash from no where. Wait a second that's not a Bream. I soon relised it was a 29cm Chopper Tailor and was now scared that he'd bite me off. Luckily he didn't and up he came over the railing. My first Brisbane River Tailor. Got another pic and back he went.

Two casts later. Bang! another Bream this one right on the 23cm limit. Next cast right after that BANG! Again another Bream though this one felt a bit bigger. First he took me around the pylon I hooked him at I could feel the how he was really getting onto his side and pulling back feeling like a big weight with quick kicks. I couldn't see the line since it was so thin so I couldn't see where he got me next. It felt like one of the submerged pylons rubbing up against the line but luckily pulled him out and up he came. A nice 29cm Bream.

I didn't get a touch for another 10 minutes or so before something felt wierd on the end of line line. Pulled it up and its a little Toadie :angry: . My first on a lure. A few few casts later the water was shining with silver. The silver flanks of schooling Bream of corse! Trying to keep the excitement in I ran over to where I could see them and cast right in front of them and brought the lure back through the school as soon as it kicked and had dived to about 10cms. Four or 5 of the Bream from the school raced over to smash it. Straight away I was on to pull up another 29cm Bream. Quickly I took a photo and back he went.

Didn't see the school for quite some time. Maybe 20 minutes. But I was surprised to see it again. Maybe it was a different school? Who cares it was a school of more Bream just below the surface. I did the exact same thing I did last time and it worked the goods. Though this one went much smaller at around 20cms.

Decided to call it quits about 30 minutes after the tide had fallen and the fishing had slowed. Still for just over 2 hours fishing it was one of my best land based lure sessions and my best land based hardbody session. I have a few pictures on my phone but can't put them on my comp. :( So Nabeel will have to vouch for them when I goto his dam tomorrow :) .

Troy

I've caught the odd bream on my Rebel crawfish when flicking for flatties, but so much more success with the surface popper. There's a pic of the popper on one of my other posts about surface poppers. Really late in the arvo, or early morning seems to be best, and always better results when there's bait fish about......and shallow water. The bream seem to be more agressive there.

Alby

Good work mate, soon you shall be converted to the darkside of HB fishing!

I had a good look through my fishing logs (yep one for EVERY lure caught fish), and of my 78 lure captures, only 3 were on soft plastics! haha

If anyone is interested (probably not!) the link is here http://www.users.on.net/~matthew.brims/Data/LUREFILE2.xls

I also keep another file, which has all my \"personal bests\" for both bait and lures. I highly recommend it to anyone who likes recording figures or stats. So far I have 59 species recorded, although I am thinking of scrapping a few jubious ones that I can't ID from years ago...

blue_mako wrote:

I think it maybe the internal rattles that gets fish coming frow everywhere. I think they hear it and look just out of curiosity and think they have to eat it.

Werewolf: I see you'v caught some Snub Nosed Gar on lures? :unsure: .

Troy

Sure did mate. The first two I caught trolled, and they sure did their best to eat bass lures! The third one was after some jerk in a tackle shop ridiculed me for claiming that I had caught a gar on a lure and he insisted that they must have been jagged (despite the hook being in their mouths)! So I went out to Big W, berelyed up a school with bread, and cast a tiny little SP through them. It was tricky to hook em, but I got one!

And thanks for reminding me about gar on lures, because I've just relised that I have forgotten to add my \"Sea Gar\" that I caught on the Tin Can Bay Trip. This one ate a chrome spice I was throwing around. The report and a pic of the Sea Gar is here:
/>http://www.users.on.net/~matthew.brims/htm_files/fishing/fishing_reports/2005/tincan_090705.htm

cheers

Matt

blue_mako wrote:

Sure did mate. The first two I caught trolled, and they sure did their best to eat bass lures! The third one was after some jerk in a tackle shop ridiculed me for claiming that I had caught a gar on a lure and he insisted that they must have been jagged (despite the hook being in their mouths)! So I went out to Big W, berelyed up a school with bread, and cast a tiny little SP through them. It was tricky to hook em, but I got one!

And thanks for reminding me about gar on lures, because I've just relised that I have forgotten to add my \"Sea Gar\" that I caught on the Tin Can Bay Trip. This one ate a chrome spice I was throwing around. The report and a pic of the Sea Gar is here:
/>http://www.users.on.net/~matthew.brims/htm_files/fishing/fishing_reports/2005/tincan_090705.htm

cheers

Matt

In your pics you have a fish titled The red critter! I don't know what it is, and that annoys me!

Its a Verigated Lizardfish ... very close to a Grinner

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/svariegat.htm

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/fishfacts/fish/sgracilis.htm

Mick my friend I'll agree that it is very close to a grinner, but its just not quite it! My fish has not teeth, whereas all grinner seem too, and my fish has a very long anal fin, it attaches across over half the lenght of its body, wheres in the grinner the anal fin is only very small. We are close!!!:silly:

Here is the full size pic

/>http://www.users.on.net/~matthew.brims/misc/redfish.jpg :side:

Post edited by: werewolf, at: 2006/09/29 17:34

Archived