Tarpon @ Shultz?... Almost

Dan23

Just ducked down to Schultz for an hour to try out my new TD Advantage 3000.

Cast my new Trick Darter up against the bank near the foot bridge, dog walked it back subsurface. Had my drag set to around 10-12lb hoping to stop a Jack or Cod in its tracks.

Something smashed it with incredible force managing to pull line off the reel in short busts whilst zig zagging all over the place. Fought this fish for about 30 seconds on really heavy gear and I was struggling to turn it around, finally got it to come up to the surface and roll over. It was long slender and bright silver 99% a Tarpon as it was fighting just like the other two I've hooked this summer. Unfortunately just after I got a good look at it I pulled the hooks on the bugger. Really should have backed the drag off as the fish wasn't fighting dirty.

Oh well, at least I know my new combo works like a dream and has power a plenty:)

Assuming it was a Tarpon that makes 3 I've hooked this year for 1 landed:blink:

Oh and I saw Terry there he was going to chase some Rays, probably for bait :S

Dazzamcgee wrote:

Sounds like some arm stretching fun!!!

Tarpon hey?? well done!!:)

Ha ha, yeah would have been better to have landed it lol. That's the nature of Tarpon though ask Lee about it.

If it wasn't a tarpon I'm open to suggestions to what it could have been:cheer:

Dan, you know the other side of the creek there's that little rocky post that sticks out just next to the bridge? I was there for a short while, brought my sx60 back fro under the bridge (tide had just turned) and held it for a short while slowly kicking in the little gap between the two main rock secitons (where all the water is gushing through) right next to a rock

Next minute, I see this black/dark fish shoot out from a rock under me, swipe the lure, and shoot back

Failed to hook up, but faaaaark :( I reckon 35-40cm cod:S

TerryH wrote:

Dan, you know the other side of the creek there's that little rocky post that sticks out just next to the bridge? I was there for a short while, brought my sx60 back fro under the bridge (tide had just turned) and held it for a short while slowly kicking in the little gap between the two main rock secitons (where all the water is gushing through) right next to a rock

Next minute, I see this black/dark fish shoot out from a rock under me, swipe the lure, and shoot back

Man, I should have hung around. I took off thinking my GF would be back and we'd have to leave and now she's not home yet:blink:

Sounds like a day for the ones that got away.:dry:

Dan23 wrote:

TerryH wrote:

Man, I should have hung around. I took off thinking my GF would be back and we'd have to leave and now she's not home yet:blink:

Go back :P

Angus

Angus wrote:

Dan23 wrote:
TerryH wrote:

Go back :P

Angus

I'm tempted:cheer: Mate you live nearby too, we'll have to have a sneaky session there one of these days.

Dont be afraid to walk a fair way as well if you go there.

That first creek mouth usually produces cod etc. But if you keep going there is another creek mouth where the water goes from like 10m wide to 30 really suddenly. There are holes there which hold some serious fish.

Angus

Archived