2008 First Annual AFO Kayak Camp/Comp @ Hinze Dam.

Angus

ok, i'm just going to throw this out there. i have never caught a bass. or a yellowbelly. or a toga. or anythin in freshwater that is not a tilapia, catfish or carp. :blush: i am going to head to a tackle shop with redit card in hand this week and buy some tackle to help me land something! what should i buy? i'm not really into buying expensive tackle and generally fish bait ahead of lures, but am happy to troll all day. general pointers will be fine (not asking for trade secrets), like lure size/shape, diving depths etc. i will be fishing one of two 2-4kg rod with 6lb fireline. any assistance is greatly appreciated. :)

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i looked at jackalls... at $20+ each i think they can get nicked to be honest. thanks for the tips terry! black/purple spinnerbaits it is. now all i need is for someone to explain to me how they work... :laugh: what type of plastics are the go? i usually target stuff with 4" nuke chickens and pumpkin seed ones on the shallow reefs in the bay... :blush:

Look for lipless crank baits in general.

I have had good success with the Red Eye Shads from our very own AFO shop. A mate of mine who bought some also had a good session with them at Baroon on the weekend.

Spinner baits also seem to account for there fair share!

Angus

Well mate I'd say some AFO stuff - Angus would they get to him on time though?

Some of the eye balls in the AFO shop look pretty sweet - I caught my PB bass on a 3" motor oil one ;)

Never had success with the red eyes, never really tried that hard to be honest.. I'll be picking up a couple of jackalls for hinze though - I know exactly the ones ;) Might keep it a trade secret until I get to hinze and test them though.

As for spinners, the most basic use is cast out, let it sinkt o the required depth and then a slow retrieve back.

benno mate, just to let you know why I chose spinners + lipless cranks + plastics.

I could easily have said a host of bibbed divers. Why didn't I? Because they (generally speaking) only fish a certain depth. I have listed three good things which you can fish at almost any depth depending on where the fish are. It gives you the most fishing options with the least amount of $$$ spent.

thanks terry. i wasn't suggesting your advice wasn't any good, i'm sure those things will work and have worked for you in the past. things are a bit tight cash-wise at the moment and looking for the most bang for my buck, hence at $22 a lure for a jackall i baulked. :blush: :blush: :blush:

i will see how i go finding some lipless crank baits and spinners that won't break the budget. i do genuinely appreciate the advice from all. :) does anyone have a favourite tackle store which stocks these sorts of things they can recommend?

But if your chasing hard bodies get various depths ultra deep this time of the year would be more the go but you can troll a lure for a while change depths and colours till you find whats working. But i probably will go crankbaits and spinnerbaits for the reason terry said plus I prefer to cast to the edges with these If you come across a school you can then try target them with various jigs or plastics

Benno: Sorry mate, wasn't suggesting that you suggested my advice wasn't of use.

I just thought I'd explain why I recommended those to you. A very successful 8m diver is almost going to be completely useless if the fish are sitting at 5 metres. In which case that's $$$ you could have spent on a lure a more 'useful' lure if you will. That said, if your budget permits buy some various depth diving lures as well:) Seems like there is going to be a few predatek boomerangs being thrown/trolled around. I have no idea how Hinze is fishing at the moment, so can't specify more precisely, which is why I was suggesting broad multiple-use lures. :)

Benno, don't be scared to throw out those plastics you already have. You never know, you may just get a few good fish on them:)

Edit: so in short, I thought it would be best if I explained why I recommended those types of lures, in case you wondered "why didn't he suggest a bibbed diver?"

thanks all. on the shopping list at the moment are g-vibes, a couple of black/purple tt spinnerbaits (reading previous threads) and some gulps in various colors and sizes. if i can't use them at hinze i'll just find a bream that can eat them at a later date. i have a range of HB lures already so i'll chuck them in too. maybe an ice jig or two if i can find them.

username_taken wrote:

a few people have mentioed ice jigs ... where abouts are they available locally ?

I got 1 from Tackle Warehouse today and they only have a couple left 2 colours in 2sizes I think that was all there was, a 15gr and a 25gr

Heath

jeff f wrote:

i've got rods and lures scattered allover the family room

i'm not used to having to reduce tackleboxes this far

considering towing a small blow up boat as a tackle barge:silly:

Or towing it as a shortie recovery vehicle.

:blush:

jeff f wrote:

STU wrote:
Fishyman buy some trebles to replace the long ones that come on them if they have the long ones cause I think they are crap

what brand are the ice jigs you use stu?

the ones i got are strike pro red perch

Yeah jeff nilsmaster like bretto said plus I have some other brand cant remember normal raider slugs work well too

STU wrote:

I got a few if ya dont get any I will lend ya some if you dont get the time mate

Cheers STU. Cant wait to get out there and hopefully we can get into some 40 plus fish this trip. Last three trips have seen 39's a 42 and a 44 and they were not hard to find either.

Archived