How to change hooks on lures?

Shrimpo

Hey everyone, Im wondering how u change the hooks on lures, I have one of those surecatch pliers with the nip on the end for splitrings but it doesnt usually open the small ones, and if it does the split ring doesnt close again. How should i do it?

Woo hoo. Im glad someone asked this. I have done it a few time, but with sub standard result. I have a few great quality lures sitting around with rusted or no hooks at the moment. Is there anyone that does this on a regular basis that has some simple and effective tips? :)

Cheers.

Angus

try filing the nib on the end of the pliers down so that it doesn't spreadthe ring so far that it permanently stretches it

i've got a really small pair if splitring pliers and the nib is only about half oof a mm thick at the top and tapers down to a chisel point

and i've never had any problem

it's a lot easier if you use 2 pairs of pliers open the ring with the splitring pliers them hold the trebble shank with the other pair and force the eye of the trebble against the slightly opened ring

takes a little practice to get used to but once you've got it sorted

it's simple

Pretty simple really. I change mine all the time. Got a few pairs of split ring pliers, but I mainly only use one pair, a set of Jarvis Walkers, cost about $8. Use them for most of my lures. For the really small stuff I use my fingernails. Those smith ones above look the go if you cant use your fingernails.

The secret is to only ease open the split ring far enough to start the hook on, then just gently move around the ring with the split ring pliers as you push on the hook.

A good trick is to use Halco split rings, as they have an extra loop, the wire is much thinner for the rated size of the ring. (The ring is smaller to)

For most of my barra lures I use no.4 Halco's which are rated at 66kilo's. a normal 50pound (20 kilo?) ring has thicker wire than the halo. Just need to make sure the treble eye is big enough for the halco ring, it is a little wider.

I'll wander down the shed and see if I can get some photo's that are are meaningful.

Ok got a few photo's that might help people.

Size 4 halco's

size4ringsP1100701.jpg

Size 3 Halco's Notice they are only 15kilo rings.no in between, 15 or 66!

size3backP1100714.jpg

size3frontP1100715.jpg

Split ring pliers (I mainly use the top ones)

pliersP1100719.jpg

Size 4 Halco 66kilo V 50lb normal ring. Notice the sharp edge on the 50lb ring,? thats one of the reasons I toss most rings from lure line mounts if I can, an edge like that can cut line like butter!

66v50.jpg

50v20P1100711.jpg

Opening the size 3 with my thumbnail

thumbP1100729.jpg

thumbP1100730.jpg

Using split ring pliers -

Dont try and keep the pliers flat when opening the ring, let them take the angle they want to, this makes it easier to open, and stretches the ring less.

You can see in these photo's the pliers are probably 45 degrees from flat.

open1P1100720-1.jpg

open2P1100721.jpg

Cando wrote:

I got a set of Smith Split Ring Pincette for doing the smaller spit ring

http://www.motackle.com.au/index.cfm?pr=product&product_id=1648

not cheap at $17 but work very well [img size=450]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Smith_Split_Ring_Pince.jpg

i use one of these all the time. Once you get the hang of it you can change bream trebles really quickly. They're pretty crap for anything bigger than size 10 though.

Yep I use my nails too. I leave the old treble on and thread the new one on and use it to push around the old one till it pops off. If I am replacing the split rings I just cut them off with wire cutters saves stuffing around with them.

WayneD wrote:

Yep I use my nails too. I leave the old treble on and thread the new one on and use it to push around the old one till it pops off. If I am replacing the split rings I just cut them off with wire cutters saves stuffing around with them.

Easiest way mate. I do it in reverse though, I open the split up with the old one and push it around with the new. Saves you opening up the split ring twice, and the old one holds the split ring open for your to put the new one on.

Easy as.

Had to use some small alligator clips recently though -can't find my pliers :S

Archived