HB techniques

namyau

Ive been trying some sx40s and havent been haveing any luck at all, just wondering what techniques are used? and how do you tell if you get a strike. all im doing is casting out letting it sit for a few secs and then winding in very slowly,

ive tried pausing with a few small jerks like sp fishing and also tried lifting the rod and winding slowly and still nothing. any help info will be muchly appreciated.

thanks

andy

every sx caught fish ive had has been on the pause and kevin keeps telling me to fast on my retrieve he catches lots so ill listen to him

ooh yeh they float to so waiting for it to sink wont get far but a pause once it hits the water is a good thing :)

yeah they suspend once cranked down, I get 90% of my fish on the pause or just after a pause. id say fish structure, weather that be a rockwall peir or jetty or even a good drop off. work the lure very slowly with lots of pauses. and try a few different colours, I like the natural colours in clearer water and more vibrant colours in discoloured water

Lee

pcsolutionman wrote:

yeah they suspend once cranked down, I get 90% of my fish on the pause or just after a pause. id say fish structure, weather that be a rockwall peir or jetty or even a good drop off. work the lure very slowly with lots of pauses. and try a few different colours, I like the natural colours in clearer water and more vibrant colours in discoloured water

Lee

thats someone who noes what's he is talking about ... Pauses , Pauses and MORE pauses

just keep trying different techniques.

bream love slow roll with pauses but some times a faster retrieve (especially when the current's fairly strong) will get them to strike.

if u want to tempt a flattie or 2, just keep ur lure close to the bottom and give plenty of jerks.

jerking with pauses can get u some cod around the rocks.

So, slow roll and plenty of pauses. Gotcha. But what do you do after the lure's hit the water? I'm referring to Terry's recent report which went something like 'crank, crank, crank and I'm on!' Were these fast cranks or slow ones? Don't you need to get the lure down to its maximum depth before you do the slow roll? :huh:

Hey mate what my favourite type of hb fishing for bream is just to cast ur lure parael to rock walls ect and bring it back along the wall nice and slowly when you put a bit of a twitch into your retrieve it dosent have to be to aggressive just enough excite the bream.

I just crank it down to depth and then jerk and pause and mix it up until I get a fish. As most people have said you get 90% on the pause. Fishing for barra I have let a lure pause for up to 10 secs with the hit coming after about 8 secs. Trial and error is the only way to go.

Get yourself a copy of Starlo and Bushy's book, How to catch bream on lure and fly. Read it cover to cover thoroughly and then try and apply their techniques, then when you get home read it again to find out what you did wrong. It is an older book but still very relevant.

hey mate,

If you're using Sx40s I guess you're targeting bream. They are also good lures for caching heaps of other species. Every place you fish the fish will react differently. Around brisbane super slow retrieves seem to work best but in lots of other places a faster jerky retrieve can be deadly especially on flatties and trevs. You just have to really experiment. I suppose the best advice is don't try and strike too hard. When a fish hits well you only need to lift your rod tip to set those owners any harder and you'll decrease your hookups as well as spook the fish so they won't give you another chance.

If you're fishing bigger Hbs there are many other techniques like ripping sub walking etc to play with.

have fun once you start getting one or two you'll find the fish will start to come much easier.

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

one more tip here, find somewhere with plenty of fish to try.

u can have a try at manly harbour, fish the very end of rock wall at incoming tide, pike, trev and tailor will keep u busy.

shultz at the beginning of running in's perfect for flattie fishing.

fish along the rock wall at bretts warf will get u bream and cod.

thats were i tried last weekend and no luck also went over to9 the lota boat ramp to try shallower water and still no luck. we were getting hits on sp and bait but i couldnt manage anything on the hbs.... hmmm

This is straight off the Ecogear Website......

1. Retrieve Technique for Oyster Racks and Rock Crops

When fishing oyster racks & rock crops it is best to cast as close as possible to the structure, and then use a "twitch-stop" retrieve. To work the lure this way, after you have made your cast, it is important to let the lure sit for a couple of seconds before moving it as this can be when a bream has heard the lure splashdown. Next step is to wind up the "slack" loose line without actually moving the lure. After the "slack" has been taken up, gently sweep your rod forward (approx 30cm) without winding the reel handle, to let the lure swim forward. Once again, now take up the "slack" and follow with a gentle sweep of the rod. Keep working your lure in this pattern, until it moves out of the strike zone.

2. Retrieve Technique for Snag Structures

As above but sometimes it pays to mix up the retrieve a bit to see what's working on the day. The double twitch is good to use when the bream are active, and it is simply two short quick sweeps forward, followed by a short pause while taking up the "slack". Importantly don't be afraid to try something different as sometimes that’s all it takes to fill up your bag.

3. Retrieve Technique Sand Flats

Typically, when fishing over sand flats it is best to employ a searching technique. Generally put out a long cast and steadily work the lure back in a steady fashion. From cast to cast, mix it up using the retrieves listed above and also some of your own. HINT- when fishing flats look for darker patches of water. This signifies either a small patch of weed or a small hole/trench. Bream will use both of these structures for cover while feeding on the flats.

Cowfish13 wrote:

On a side not, What weight line and leader have you been using?

my normal set up is - 4lb braid and 8lb-10lb leader - ive used fluro and mono. gear is 7ft6 bream finesse and 2004 revros.

i might go down to manly after work depending on how late i finish and give it another go

Maybe you should try Schultz. The fish usually bite pretty easily there when using Sx40s. Go there at half tide and don't even worry about casting to structure. Most of the bream hold in the middle of the canal so just cast out as far as you can and slowly crank it back. Easiest place to get bream on lures in Brissie. Don't try fishing there with sx40s at high tide though the water gets too deep for them to be effective.

Dan23 wrote:

Maybe you should try Schultz. The fish usually bite pretty easily there when using Sx40s. Go there at half tide and don't even worry about casting to structure. Most of the bream hold in the middle of the canal so just cast out as far as you can and slowly crank it back. Easiest place to get bream on lures in Brissie. Don't try fishing there with sx40s at high tide though the water gets too deep for them to be effective.

Definately, Schultz at mid tide will produce Bream and flathead on SX40/48 lures, and even Cod ( and mystery fish that Kev calls for Jacks ). A simple slow roll of the SX is all that's needed there, twitching doesn't seem to make much difference. The slower the retrieve the better!

If the tide is a bit higher, use a jackal chubby deep, or some gulps.

Archived