Got my visa, got my flights!

brisbanebound

Arrive in Brsibane on the 18th July at quarter to 11!! Visa arrived last week, over the moon!

Will definately be up for meeting up and doing some serious fishing when I arrive.

Will be in holiday mode for the first 4 to 6 weeks so if anyone has any suggestions of where to go for a couple of days where the missus can be happy as well would be greatly appreciated.

I'll be looking to go on a chartered trip and hopefully fish for some Tuna, again if anyone has any recommendations or cares to join me let me know, It would be a pleasure to meet youse.

In the meantime tight lines and stay happy folks. ;)

Jamie

P.S Does anybody know if the river at the Normandy Hotel fishes well? Think its in the Chelmer area. My friends say its great for a sunday session but I never drink on a sunday if im working, too old for that, but could propbably drop them off and spend the day fishing there?

Cheers

Not long to go now...you'll be counting down the days:woohoo:

You might be a little off-track with the Normanby....suggest you grab a UBD (book of street maps) when you get off the plane. Then find a computer and log in to AFO and announce your arrival.

I'm sure you'll get a flood of suggestions and offers.

Don't forget to look out the window when you're coming in to land. The view's almost as good as Google Earth for picking spots :P :laugh:

Brisbane Bay Tours advertises on AFO, worth a look for your charter in the bay.

I don't fish the city much, so i can't help much there, but the forums are full of Bris River reports, many of them land based, so have a search through and you'll get a good idea of what's available.

Moreton Island (Tangalooma Resort) might be a good choice for a quick local getaway, plenty of fishing (check the forum reports) and the usual non-fisho holiday stuff. They do Dolphin feeding too.

Hope you catch a few good ones when you get here.

Rocket

Congrats on the Visa mate... didn't read your previous posts but if the move is a permanent one I'm sure you'll love it!

Rocket's suggestion on a charter is a good one. I've used one out of the Gold Coast previously but you'd be best to keep it simple soon after arriving.

Tangalooma is a good spot for the family too - but to be honest anywhere 1 hour north or south of Brissy will be heaven for you - even coming into the cooler months.

Lots of cheap accommodation on the Gold Coast - very decent fishing in many locations. If booking accom have a look at www.wotif.com.au or www.lastminute.com.au.

Check out www.whereis.com.au and Google Earth to get some ideas for spots and pick your accomm close by. (I'd suggest you consider Tweed Heads area for a start).

Gee - I just read that back and was thinking to myself, "Why south? Why not suggest he goes to Bribie... or Coloundra... or Noosa???"

Mate - you might be best landing and seeing where the breeze takes you for the first month or so! ;)

Finally - if you're thinking about keeping the missus happy during the holiday phase early on the Normamby probably isn't the place to do that... :blush: ... but you might have a more understanding missus than mine! :blink:

Anyway... by all means stay connected via AFO - you're sure to catch up with some of the boys sooner or later!

Mate when you get to Brissie don't take the river as an example of what's around. There's plenty of fish in there but you're really best off traveling to the coast to fish some really nice pristine spots. Or heading out to one of the stocked dams for some Bass fishing.

In saying that the Brissie River is proving itself to be a great fishery close to home.

rayke1938 wrote:

Another magic spot to visit and fish is Point Lookout on Stradbroke Island.

Cheers

Ray

I would rate North Straddies point loohout as the nicest local getway. Total island feeling only an hour from Brissy but with the infrastructure in place so no intensive planning required.

Awesome fishing and scenery as well.

And if the fish are not biting the local seafood co-ops are exceptional.

Angus

Thanks everyone the advice on North Straddy sounds the business!

My friends say its beautiful out there so that will keep the trouble and strife happy!

Angus, will def be in touch when we get there, do you think the weather will be okay in August? As long as it doesnt get below 15 at night I reckon i could handle an all nighter no probs.

Will seek advice on tackle, bait etc nearer the time.

Just as a wee teaser, what type of fish could I catch from the beach there? :lol:

Was checking out charters on the web, look great value, although im sure someone recommended a company on one of my other threads will check it out.

Tight Lines!

Jamie

Bream, dart, tailer.

In August normally very stable weather. Cool nights but beautiful warm sunny days. We do get cold westerly winds in August when you will have to wear a cardigan but they only last for a couple of days and at point Lookout you can always get in a sheltered spot in the sun.

August is one of our drier months and not much chance of rain then.

One of the great pastimes at point Lookout is sitting on the headland and watching the dolphins playing in the surf. There should still be a few whales migrating northwards then.

Cheers

Ray

Hey mate.

These are my last two reports from N. Straddy.

The one over Christmas was a bit average but the weather was appalling:

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=72980&catid=11#72980

However this one from before that you will notice is dated August the 11th and 12th and was an awesome trip:

http://www.australianfishing.com.au/index.php?option=com_kunena&Itemid=237&func=view&id=39152&catid=11#39152

Cheers.

Angus

Cheers Angus, are the Bream good eating?

I would propbably take a couple of rods, one for fishing the surf with pilchard, squid etc and a small light rod and do a bit of spinning with plastics etc round the rocks, maybye go a wander.

I take it you have the chance to catch rays? That in itself would be an awesome experience for me.

Loved the pics of the Manta Rays, had the pleasure of swimming with them in Coral Bay, WA last time I was down under. Truly amazing experience.

Take Care and cheers

JAmie

Edit to say, thanks to everyone else on the thread also for the advice!

Oh yes, you will have a good chance of getting a Ray in the surf:lol: They're usually a pest, but the bigger ones can give a pretty decent fight:cheer:

Bream are over rated as an eating fish in my opinion. But from a clean environment like the surf off Straddy, I reckon they would taste pretty good.

Really depends what you consider good eating though. They're nothing on a reef fish like Sweetlip or Parrot, but they are still fairly good.

Cheers Jason I'll definately take you up on that.

Whereabouts in LOndon you from? I was born in the Royal London and lived in Whitechapel before my folks moved back to Glasgow.

Ive never known a city change so much as London in the last 20 years. I used to think I could live there but not now, just way too busy.

Apparently the Thames is one of the cleanest rivers in the UK now, plenty of fish in it like Pike and even Salmon.

Still bet your more than happy with the Briisy river!!

Cheers

JAmie

brisbanebound wrote:

Is it true what Rex Hunt says that the King george Whiting is the nicest table fish in Oz?

I can't confirm that as I've never tried one. We don't get that particular variety up here in Brissie:dry: We get the much smaller Sand and Winter Whiting. They are both excellant eating but because the average size is fairly small, you don't get a huge feed off them (King George Whiting get alot bigger).

Everyone's taste in fish is different, so that may be Rex's opinion, but not others. But Whiting are all very good eating.

ah fairly close to me mate. Some good fishing to be had. Anyhwere u can acces the water you can catch Bream, Threadfin and prawns, along with the usual billions of cattys and pike eels. Also in summer its good for mud crabs. The local boat ramp is a good start.

Archived