Manning River - Harrington - NSW

Mick

A mate and myself a heading to the Manning River in Harrington NSW for the long weekend, the mullet will be schooling at the mouth of the rivers the week for the post ANZAC day mullet run...

Our aim is to chase some big Jew and what ever other predators are chasing them...

I have not fished for mullet or Jewies before (mullet needed for the live bait and no cast netting allowed in NSW).

Any tip on either of these species would be great.

I have a plan on the mullet involving flour water dough and weetbix burley the some light float stuff and small hooks (I think i read this on a post about gar her a couple of weeks ago and they got heaps)

The Jew I will be using 30 braid on a 6000 baitrunner live baiting big mullet with single and twin (for the big boy) live bait hooks on 40lg Leader.

I here ther are some big sharks down there too, what size leader should I run for some larger noahs ??

Good luck!! me and some amtes tried the same thing a few years ago but no love. we found the only way we could get mullet was jumping them at night (wernt interested in any baits), they were so thick we actually tried walking on them as the phrase goes but it diddnt work at all.

Dazzamcgee wrote:

Mick check out the topic in the forum Sat Night26th=Jew Attack! by Ash I wrote abit about harrington jews there.

I use to live there so if u have any particular areas u might be fishing let me know as I might be able to help U out.;)

R U going landbased or boat?

I am going both land and boat 14 ft tinne with a 30 hp live tank etc...

Jordan wrote:

Good luck!! me and some amtes tried the same thing a few years ago but no love. we found the only way we could get mullet was jumping them at night (wernt interested in any baits), they were so thick we actually tried walking on them as the phrase goes but it diddnt work at all.

That would make a great youtube video..

could you get them in the landing or prawning net ???

it's legal to jag mullet in nsw

thats how most of the jew fishermen get them

get yourself some 8/0 trebbles and barrel sinkers

cast into the school of mullet and strike sideways as hard as you can

10kg lins on a 12 foot rod you'll have no problem getting live mullet

well most of them come in live

Mick the tailor should be around though if I remember correctly it maybe a tad early. Try slugs for them from the wall and if they are there u will slay them.

Mate there is a great little spot landbased just outside of Harrington on the main road its a small bridge (cant think of the name) that runs east to west. Fish the western side near the oyster farm for mixed estuary species.

Harrington mouth just back upstream about a K is a spur wall on the far side of the river. Monster bream are found here I mean horses big blue nose bream!! Worth checking out!!;)

Not to sure if u are aware but there is 2 mouths for the manning river Harrington and Old Bar. Both can be accessed by boat and if the chance presents itself check out Old bar entrance as its a tops spot. If u do make your way to old bar on the western side near Far quar park is a small side creek that fishes really well as a matter of fact I have taken 2 trophy winning fish from that small creek entrance. That whole area is worthy of a days fishing.

Now if your keen to see some sites head by car on down to Taree just before the town of the highway is a small town called Cundle town. Right smack bang in the middle is a bridge for some more landbased fishing. The bridge is called Damaric island bridge(spellings wrong) fish the otherside of the large hump on the downstream side here u will find soapie jews sharks bream and flathead. Jig up the herring that live there and deploy as livies on paternoster rigs but while u wait SP the whole area for flathead as they can be caught up and past double figures.;)

Most areas fish well by boat but there is 1 bay that the mullet school in masses. Its a fair hike upstream but well worth it. Over looking this bay is a big mansion that looks like a friggen huge piano build by a dude that owns a music store which is on ya left handside bank. Fish that bay for all the bigguns.

mate I could ramble and ramble and ramble about fishing the manning.:)

Hope this helps!!:)

pretty sure jeff....

its been pouring rain down there for a few days now and not looking good, heaps more to come, the old bar river is all but shut if not fully shut at the moment, maybe the rain there getting will help move the sand...

my grannys used to live at harrington... awesome place ..

maxi

Squid are Cephalopods

But even though it's called squid jigging, you are actually using a lure to try and get them around the mouth region:) So it'll be fine:)

Edit: Just had a bit of a research and they are from the Class Cephalopoda, and from the Phylum Mollusca. So they technically aren't fish:silly: So no laws should really apply to them unless I've made a big mistake from being too tired:silly:

Cowfish13 wrote:

Squid are Cephalopods

But even though it's called squid jigging, you are actually using a lure to try and get them around the mouth region:) So it'll be fine:)

Edit: Just had a bit of a research and they are from the Class Cephalopoda, and from the Phylum Mollusca. So they technically aren't fish:silly: So no laws should really apply to them unless I've made a big mistake from being too tired:silly:

In the rule book they are listed as invertabrates, but yes they are Cephalopods also..

I think that while jigging for them with 10/0 trebles if I get a mullet as by catch i should be ok :unsure::huh: :woohoo:

Archived