Marry River Cod and Bassin

Dec

George (geo57) and I took advantage of the long weekend and went up to the Marry River. I was excited as George had been telling me of all these great stories of many Bass that he has caught and even a saratoga. I was also excited about our slim chance of the endangered Marry River Cod.:woohoo:

25/04/08

We left Georges house at 6:50 am, we arrived at Kenilworth at 9:20am to get dropped of about 500m upstream of the campsite. We fished all the way back to the campsite with the most exciting thing we caught was a tree:( . We then got back to camp to have lunch. Then we set off for a land based fish downstream we walked to the first good snag about 400m from the campsite. George had on a Gold 1/4 Vortex spinnerbait and me a small gold HB. First cast for both of us resulted in curious little Bass chasing our lures spotting us and turning back to there snag:angry: . So we walked on to a good looking pool that was very deep and snagy so we fished it with George getting one 30cmish Bass:cheer: . Nothing after that in that pool so we moved on and there was a great looking tree fallen tree in about 2ft of water first cast I saw a 35cm Bass smash my HB and after a small fight in he came:cheer: . We moved on with many other bass following up our lures and two Spangled Perch one on a popper. We got back and that was the end of fishing for that day.:(

26/04/08

We woke up at 6am to a very cold morning and heavy fog:ohmy: . We got dropped off at little Yabba creek about 8km upstream. We were welcomed with very good looking snags with only one thing wrong with them they didn’t hold any lure eating bass. We went downstream and finally at about 9am I got the first Bass on a very good looking snag in the middle of the river on a 1/4 red nightmare vortex spinnerbait. After another hour and some hard obstacles we came to a shady tree, there I dropped a small Bass at the canoe and two casts later bang I was on again this time I got it in, a nice Bass measuring 40cm on the same spinnerbait. That was it for that expedition we then went for a swim and it was freezing and I thought to myself no wonder why the bass weren’t biting:blink: . We then went for an afternoon fish downstream from the campsite in the canoe. We passed the snag where me and George got followed up by Bass the day before and there was 2 guys fishing there with shrimp and had caught 2 bass and dropped another 3. We got down to where George got his bass. I cast my spinnerbait at a nice big rock with a submerged log I was thinking why would a fish not eat that when under the canoe a big green fish ate my spinnerbait COD I yell:woohoo: . George grabs the net he first did a death roll then came straight up then straight back to his log my hand went onto the spool and turned his head then he came up and was successfully netted and measured at 58cm:woohoo: . We then went to the bank got some quick pictures and my thumb figured out that they own a nice set of sharp little teeth:unsure: . Then was released to fight another day. We then headed downstream for a few more pools and dropping some more bass. We then had to pull the canoe back through the rapids in the dark back to camp.:S

27/04/08

We headed back downstream to some very nice looking water with a heap of hits and seeing a 45-50cm Bass chasing my spinnerbait but no landed fish:( . This particular morning we had some very heavy fog and it only left us at 8am. We then pulled out at the gravel plant about 5km downstream at about 11:30am and leaving for home to avoid bad traffic.

For anybody that wants to fish the Marry River I would highly recommend it is a great place the only thing you have to worry about is the water level it is best fished when water levels are up, this also makes getting around the river alot easier. If anybody wants to ask any questions about the fishing in the river ask George he has been there more that me. [img size=400]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/George_bass_2.jpg

post-1303-14459845547_thumb.jpg

Well great weekend best fishing I have had in weeks. As for the yellas no sign of them but I don't see why there wouldn't be. As for where we lanched the second day I am 75% sure that it was the little Yabba rest stop.

The canoe is a Kingfisher Canoe from Anaconda and it is very stable we have two people standing up in it at once. As for my thumb it has got scratches all over it and yes they have teeth like a flathead. That spangald Perch looked very healthy there is also a very healthy population of them somtimes you could get a school of ten chasing your lure. There was also haps of eel tailed catfish and we even saw a small lungfish. Bommie you could just get a Bass to put in your pond or even better just give them to me my Toga would love them.

No outrigers but I dont know how it would go with two adults standing up but is one good canoe. I have an oldstyle canoe also and it is even more stable than that but that is one good canoe. It usualy has a 54lb electric on it when we are in the pine.

Schultzy wrote:

Great work on the green fish Declan. You've just gotta love the shape of the MRC, big shoulders and such a solid tail wrist.

Yes they make my thumbs bleed too, those teeth in the centre of the lower jaw are sharp!

That is a ripper spanglie too!

Aww come on Schultzy, Surely you've caught so many that you've got a big hard callous to protect you now:P :laugh:

Archived