Bribie report 2/5/08

tacklebox

We decided to beat the long weekend rush and headed up to Bribie today to chase some flatties. We hired a tinnie at 8am and first stop was the mouth of Ningi Creek. The water was glassy and there were hardly any other boats on the water. This was gonna be a great day!

Kreel was first on with two flounders in quick succession. They were reasonably sized but didn't look too meaty so we let them go. A short while after, my reel started screaming and there was a serious bend in my rod :woohoo: Pulled it up and it was a grinner :angry: At that point the current was moving quite quickly so we decided to move a bit further up near the oyster leases.

There were heaps of gar around and mullet frequently jumping out of the water. Where was our cast net when we needed it? It was pretty quiet until Kreel's rod and reel went flying almost out of the boat! He grabbed it just in time and started reeling it in! We called it for a monster flattie only to discover it was a stingray :angry: No fishing trip of ours is complete without a stingray! :laugh:

We decided to move again so I started reeling my line in and I was surprised to find out I had something on the end. It felt like dead weight so I thought it was another stingray but then Kreel caught a glimpse of silver and said it was definitely a fish! :woohoo: It turned out to be a nice fat 33cm bream! A new PB! :woohoo: :woohoo: :laugh:

On to the next spot and before long Kreel was onto a decent fish. Unfortunately the line snapped before we could see what it was so we'll never know.:( I cast near the same spot and as I was retrieving my line I saw a flattie come up and grab my bait! I reeled it in and it was a nice 45cm model. Yay!! Shortly after I hooked up another one but it came off the hook right at the boat. Looked about 40cm to me but I was happy I already had dinner in the bag.

We moved further up again and decided to try our luck drifting. I managed another 30cm flattie and a tiny bream. Then we dropped anchor in some really shallow water where there was a lot of surface action. Despite all the action around, all we pulled up was an even tinier bream by Kreel :laugh: . Meanwhile, I was soaking some bait on a spare rod while I flicked plastics around with another. I had a few follows but no strikes. When I went to reel in my bait, the rod started shaking and again the drag was screaming! I played it gently and not long after saw that it was an even bigger flattie! 53cm to be exact! Another PB!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

At 1pm and a few hours before we had to get the boat back we went over to the Bribie Bridge to see if any snapper were around. I crushed up some old pillies for berley and it wasn't long before the spot started firing... with tiny little snapper that is! :laugh: We pulled up one after another which was at least a bit of fun as they fight pretty hard for their size. I tried a bit of bottom bashing and hooked up something that felt pretty decent. It turned out to be a 25cm grassy sweetlip which was a nice surprise. Then I caught another that was 26cm. It was painful - just a few more centimetres! After that the current changed and it got quiet so we called it a day.

Thanks for reading everyone. Hope this makes up for my crappy Noosa report Ellicat. Photos to come.

thanks everyone. glad you enjoyed the read :)

not a bad bream for qld hey? it's definitely a top spot for flatties and the bridge always produces something interesting.

let's not talk about getting a boat! :blink: unless mrs ellicat says so :laugh: :laugh:

Archived