catching threadfin ?

frang

hi guys this is my first post. I recently moved back up from sydney where i spent the last four years.

since i've got back i've learned that good fishing is availably in the bris river, a few years ago i wouldn't have believed it.

I am after some tips on the techniques that some of you use to catch threadfin salmon. terrain, tackle, lures, baits etc.

any info would be appreciated!

cheers frang

I don't know much about them other than that Jackal Mask Vibes or other non rattling lures work well. My theory is that the feelers must be so sensitive that rattling lures put them off. Fish deep drop offs around the mouth for the big ones and the smaller ones around 50-80cm can be found in shallower waters. Lightly weighted Gulp Shrimp is also a gun lure.

also atomic prong is another good sp. ive recently found that poppers work ok if they are in the mood and on the surface. ppl say that live prawns,herring and small mullet are good to but im more lure fishing then bait esp for threaddies

for tackle you could get away with bream gear - 2kg-4kg rod 2000 size reel,4lb braid and 8lb-12lb fluro leader. thats what i use have a look at dan23 and kev's post of their trip last week i think i read that dan was using a 6lb-10lb rod

as for hooks and stuff - i always fish light between 1/12 jig head to 1/71 hws and plastics up to 3inch

pinkey wrote:

Do you go thready fishing in the river Schultzy?

Haven't chased them for 2 years, too many barra, cod and longtails to catch.

Got my first in the river at West End circa 1986, fishing from the bank, on a frozen prawn.

Used to pick up reasonable numbers around Goodna.

G'day frang,

Welcome to AFO mate, its a good place to find out a few tips and meet some pretty helpful people, I havnt found another club with people so willing to pass on thier tips.

As far as the threadies go, are you in a boat or land based? If you message me I can let you know of a few choice spots to start your hunt for a threadie.

They are in pretty good numbers in the brissy river, although me and a mate caught a beauty on live prawns in the schultz canal two nights ago around the 75cm mark, thats the biggest fish Ive ever pulled out of there, followed closely by a 65cm flathead a few months before. We slipped a couple of fillets off it and cooked it in the fire.

This is just my opinion but if you do get onto a few and they are any bigger than that Id consider snapping off a couple of pics and putting them back to fight another day, they have really copped a flogging in the brissy river over the last twelve months.

Happy to help if i can mate.

if you are planning on releasing, use heavier gear than 4lb, i have often tried to release big fish after epic battles only to have them go belly up and die from exhaustion. some of the threadies in the river will go 1m+ and weigh in excess of 10kg, gear accordingly. i personally fish at least 10lb when fishing where bigger fish are, not because i can't catch fish on lighter gear, purely because i want the option of keep or release at the end of it. rest assured, a 1m thready on 10lb line is still damn good fun!

Archived