sat night/sunday offshore

benno573

hi all,

headed down to the gold coast with a mate of mine who was down from mt isa for the weekend. dropped the boat in on sunday arvo hoping to get outside the seaway for the dusk session. yeah ummmmm.... no. gusting to 25knots, looked like a great day for a kitesurf so we contented ourselves with parking near wavebreak island and throwing some baits around there. caught a couple of legal tailor which were destined to be dinner and a 36cm whiting. nothing much else to report from there, apart from throwing the castnet and catching a heap of herring for threadfin bait.

so before the crack of dawn on sunday we left and headed outside after some minor electrical dramas (no sounder) were rectified. headed out to the 24's in about 12knots of wind with a few whitecaps. not looking too good but soldier on. as soon as we found a suitable area, set up for a drift. my mate started a solid burley trail :X and the baits hit the bottom. the action was pretty instant, unfortunately pretty much everything was undersized tarwhine. :angry: my mate got a just legal snapper which was sent back to fight again another day. by this stage my mate was pretty tragic so i decided it was nearly time to head for calmer waters. then i caught the fish of the day, a 2kg venus tuskfish, that one hit the esky for mother's day dinner later on. the wind was now gusting to 23knots, pretty crappy conditions. we trolled a bit on the way home with no result.

not the best trip out weather wise but good to catch up with a mate anyway.

cheers for reading

benno <'>-<

hahaha, they are on my actual camera this time mate unfortunately. you will have to wait. the tailor went about 35cm, nothing too special but tasted bloody good. couldn't beat it for freshness, went from the water to the pan in about an hour. :woohoo:

Archived