Hope is not lost! Colleges Crossing 15/05

Plastic Fantastic

Hey guys,

Well I skipped University today as I had an assignment to do and work straight after. Finished the assignment around 12ish so decided to head down to Colleges for a quick fish, more than anything to test out my new braid and test swim a few new lures. Unfortunately all the upper Brisbane River spots that used to produce literally scores of healthy 30cm+ bream have all slowed down considerably - one can only assume the bigger bream are heading downstream to the mouth to breed - not good for me :blush:. Any who it was the second half of the low tide and I started flicking an SX40 in colour 307 around 50m upstream of the bridge, just where the water starts turning into rapids. Three casts in and as I am winding in the little lure I see this black shape following it, I pause the lure and the fish grabs it! Right in front of me! Turns out it was a 25cm FL bream! Must be a fluke I say to myself, after all the fishing at colleges for bream recently has been as productive as its fishing for Atlantic Salmon lol...next cast, and another legal bream! after 20mins at the spot I managed 3 bream!

Decided to walk up the riverbank about 100m to a spot that regularly produces bream for me in the summer-first cast falls short in about 2 feet of water, BAM! after what I thought was a decent Flathead due to the sluggish fight up comes a 31cm FL bream! But err...not the healthiest...had a dis-formed head and was bleeding out pussy goo from wounds along its dorsal fin :S poor fella :( Anyways 20mins more and 3 legal bream and one legal flathead later I decided to call it quits and head home - I was hungry!

On a side note, I am pleased to inform that barbless hooks have really made no difference to my hookup and landing rate, seriously! I squashed the barbs down on all my lures and have been very pleased with the results - dehooking is so easy now I don't need pliers!

Anyways, just thought I'd let you guys know that there are still some bream, although not huge or in the same numbers as summer, hanging around Colleges still :)

Archived