More From Johnsons Rocks 17/5/08

DannyH

After reading all the good reports about TT Switchblades - I just had to give them a go. So I popped to my local BCF and after some searching - found a nice all gold Switchblade. Which was promptly swapped for a gold/silver number after Plastic Fantastic happend to come over for a chat and to replace his one eyed Switchblade with gold/silver .-)

Locally, there are 2 quick and easy options from where I live - Colleges Crossing or Johnsons Rocks - both have reported to be going OK but I decided to try Johnsons Rocks. My previous experiences at JR have resulted in big doughnuts but the memory of 2 lost SX40's in the last couple of weeks at Colleges is still too painful to face.

As soon as I got home I showed off my new purchase to my wife, got the same level of interest she gets when showing off her latest shoes so can't complain. I de-barb my Switchblade's trebles, tied a 6lb mono leader to my 6lb braid and attached the Switchblade so I didn't have to waste time on the water. With everything looking good I jumped in the car and off to fish the end of the outgoing tide (noticing the approaching storm all the way).

On arrival, I met Hugh who was just leaving to try Colleges - he had been there a while with no luck (bugger, should have gone to Colleges). A few minutes later, Wayne showed up. Hugh decided to give it another go and stayed on. It turned out that Wayne was Plastic's Father and Hugh was his mate who had been at JR yesterday. What luck - two guys who know the area like the back of their hands so I followed them to a 'good spot'.

First throw of the Switchblade - wow - look how far it goes....wait was that...yep I'm on. After a short fight I pulled in a healthy lizard. We put it on Hugh's brag mat - 59cm you beauty! I got a first with this one - first flattie on HB Lure:) :) . Unfortunately due 'technical issues' no photo was taken but who cares - you couldn't wipe the smile off my face.:) :)

Second throw - wow it really does cast nice.....you're kidding..... I landed another, much smaller lizard (maybe 30cm - but not worth measuring after the last one.) He had taken the lure right in - I was now glad I took the time to remove the barbs as the four hooks that had him held were easily removed.

Both fish were caught using a slow wind - nothing special.

I had couple more bites during the day but nothing landed. Hugh picked up a 25cm bream and Wayne landed a flattie (approx 45cm) but that was pretty much it for the day. The rain finally hit just as we were all getting into our cars to go.

All in all a nice afternoon session. Many thanks to Hugh and Wayne for the tips and for the company.

Tomorrow I am going to hit Nudgee with Bundy Boy - Hoping for a good one.

DannyH wrote:

As soon as I got home I showed off my new purchase to my wife, got the same level of interest she gets when showing off her latest shoes so can't complain.

Haha, love it mate, sounds pretty familiar too.

Well done on the flatty, good size too! Great report mate and good luck tomorrow at Nudgee.

Cheers,

Matt

Plastic Fantastic wrote:

Yeah...heard about the 'technical issues' haha you should see my dad's fingers!!! Glad ya caught something on a hardbody though! See I told you Johno's wasn't a complete waste of time! Congrats on the fish!

I think he was more worried about the missing the photo than I was. Bloody small world running into you, Hugh and your dad all on the same day.

Archived