braid on alveys

jeff f

I have never experience braid on alvey reels but i bought a really good monofilament line about 2months ago, Its Shimano Technium its 20lb is 0.30mm where as platypus lo stretch 10kg is 0.37mm. Its very limp stuff and is knots well and has good abrasion resistance. Costs about $30 for 300metres. Great stuff.

Heres a link
/>http://www.shimanofish.com.au/catalog/fish/products/group_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302054009&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181791&bmUID=1212315830024

I must agree.

One of the real strenghts of an Alvey (IMO) is having the line pass over your finger whilst retrieving, and Braid would make this a very dangerous practice. Perhaps with an inner-tube finger sock you could make it work, but would that defeat the purpose?

And then you have the line lay issue...!

Stick with the mono.

Rocket

Jeff: direct from Alvery Website.

Can I use braid on an Alvey reel?

Braided lines can be used on Alvey Reels, but due to their ferocious ability to slice fingers, they should always be used with caution! Pumping and winding is imperative when winding line to reduce the line pressure across the guiding finger.

The following points are also worth considering if using braid lines on Alvey Reels:

* Braid can be very difficult to tie, especially when night fishing.

* Because braided lines tend to hold water and are lighter than monofilament lines, they often catch the breeze making a large ‘bow’ when used with long surf rods. This can make feeling bites even harder than with ‘mono’ line.

* Tying a good length of monofilament line as a wind on leader avoids the braid cutting fingers when casting. This will also make knot tying easier when changing rigs.

* An alternative to braid is the new Platypus Lo-Stretch monofilament line, which has very little stretch and an extremely fine diameter.

* Braided lines are best used on non-cast Alvey boat reels. Because these reels have a straight edge spool to maximize line capacity, the line does not need to be guided on when retrieving.

* We strongly recommend the use of a finger stall if using Braided lines.

Archived